Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine internals

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Engine internals

Post by henrym3 » Sun May 31, 2020 9:29 pm

During lockdown I decided (it’s only taken a year) to crack on with doing the vw r32 timing chain replacement, all has gone well until I removed the cam cover to fit the timing tool. It was a shock to see the grot/crusty interior of the engine or should I say the cylinder head. Now I know that the BMWs I have are really clean, slight brownish colour to the alloy but absolutely no build up of crusty grot and all of them have vastly more mileage. The vw has had oil changes every 7.5k. What recommendations would anyone make to try and get rid of the grot,
Recommendations to sell and get a BMW are not an option.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Engine internals

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 31, 2020 9:51 pm

If you’re taking the head off then a dishwasher on its hottest setting works quite well. You will need to make sure you don’t get caught though! :fuelfire:

None of the materials I would suggest such as Jizer or similar degreaser/cleaners can be used with the head on or at least not without making certain nothing gets into the bores or sump. They all tend to strip oil from the bores/main shells & bearings etc.

Is there an issue with the PCV (or whatever VAG call it now) allowing crud from the crankcase up to the top of the engine? It certainly should not be getting crusty with the right oil and the change frequency you are using unless there’s ‘blow by’ from somewhere.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:42 pm

I’m not aware that there is anything wrong with the crankcase venting, the pipes are clean and WV don’t have a history of problems in that area. Having put some thought in the grandson who had the car for the last year it was driven probably drove it at very low revs as he reported regular 30mpg which I just couldn’t achieve when I gave it the odd try. Would that contribute, Interesting that on the vw the guides look like they have done about 20 miles but the chain is stretched, sort of the opposite way round to the e53 V8 So, basically you wouldn’t recommend any of the oil flush treatments that are available

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:22 am

You might get some info if you ask on ukpassats as they are very knowledgeable on the vw engines.
http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/index.php

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:52 pm

:thumbsup: