Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front diff

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Lincssailer

Front diff

Post by Lincssailer » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:27 pm

This goes on, after a lot of messing with a front drive shaft I think my front diff is faulty, when I drive forward it seems to lock up but not in reverse, when I turn the shaft by hand it seems to rattle near the diff so I've removed the drive shaft and when I run the engine it rattles that side in the dif thing is can I find out what diff I need before I remove the old one. It's a 2006 3.0 sport automatic

Greydog

Re: Front diff

Post by Greydog » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:09 pm

It does have oil in it ??
www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will bring up your model search for the info you need.
Also check www.newtis.info there may be help there.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:41 pm

I am assuming by ‘run the engine’ you mean with it in gear too?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Lincssailer

Post by Lincssailer » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:07 am

Hi thanks and yes when I put the car in drive, in reverse it seems fine but in drive I get what sound like tin cans rattling, with the drive shaft in it seems to keep locking up as if a bearing is collapsing

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:09 am

Could be, the only way to know will be to take the cover off. There are different versions of the same diff with different ratios depending upon the engine, gearbox and year. Somewhere on here is the right ratio number. They’re a rare animal though, and you definitely want to avoid a main dealer as they’ll want a mortgage for one :x

This thread gives you some numbers ... https://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... io#p171811
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.