Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

TRAFICA

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

TRAFICA

Post by henrym3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:58 pm

They popped up when I came out of the VW dealership. No driving problems, INPA shows fault 87 Pre charge valve, rear axle. Foxwell shows the same. Checked wheel speed sensors and all ok, likewise yaw and SAS. ABS pump can be activated. Lights cannot be cancelled when engine hot but can when cold. Reappear after temperature passes 82c. As luck would have it I had the ABS module repaired in mid 18 with a lifetime warranty with ECUTESTING in Derby. Called them up on Monday and the receptionist took the details, said a technician would call me. 1 hour later tec calls asks a few questions, arranges for the module to be picked up tomorrow and sends a postage label. Brilliant so far. The only amazing thing is that I found the receipt,well, wife did really.

Greydog

Re: TRAFICA

Post by Greydog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:20 am

I have dealt with ECU Testing in the past with Volvo ABS units always great service 48 hr turnaround hope they sort your issue this time
Good find on the receipt

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:17 pm

Well the good news is the module is on its way back. The bad news is they didn’t find anything wrong. Said they tidied up a board but only cos it looked a little tatty. I’ll have to see how it goes. I assume they would have retouched the solder joints, so fingers crossed.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:52 am

Fingers crossed that the "tidy up" works for you

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:50 pm

Unfortunately not working, in fact worse. Lights on all the time now, can’t be cancelled. The diagnostics now show fault as return pump. After a 30 minute drive neither of the diagnostics tools will connect with the ABS module?? but will connect to all other modules. On the plus side there was no charge. Make that a very very small plus. I called ECU and an engineer will call tomorrow. I just don’t remember anyone mentioning replacing the ABS pump. That would potentially be a fairly messy job to do.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:30 am

Morning Henry
Bummer, obvious and probably checked but Loom and connector OK? I did read sometime ago that a damaged wheel bearing seal can cause similar issues. Clutching at straws a bit?

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:11 am

Well, I don't take the risk of having the battery of my F15 go flat - so each week for the past 13 I give it 3 hours on a trickle charger after starting it and running the engine for a few minutes. The car's been off the road since mid March but is stored in a garage. The discs are clean - and handbrake off so I hope all will be well - likely to be taxed in August when the shielding I'm subjected to is eased a bit (I hope!!!)

Graeme

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:03 pm

Sorry folks - above posted under wrong thread!

Graeme

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:29 pm

The engineer called today and suggested that I send them the module and pump. As I’m not seeing anything wrong with the wiring the fuses listed are good and the car drives fine gears are good I’m not really left with much choice. Just need to get the pump out without spilling brake fluid on the paintwork. Then the pain of bleeding an empty pump. Bad week, boiler broke, puncture on Alpina. Plus side r32 timing chains done, gearbox back in and it runs.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:34 am

Morning Henry
What a total PITA good luck getting it out. Lets hope that's your 3 things (mine where all domestic washing machine,dishwasher, cooker)
Good news with the R32 :D

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Finished the removing the pump about 1 hour ago. Sucked the fluid out of the MC removed the headlight, I should really have removed the coolant reservoir it would have saved me going over my vast list of swear words. I’ll contact ECU testing tomorrow so they can pick it up, probably Monday.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:34 am

Fingers crossed for a good result Henry

Dave

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:32 pm

So, ECU Testing called today, apparently the module is beyond repair, seems odd as they repaired it last week and said there was no faults, now it’s toast. Apparently the pump is ok. Two options, refund of money I payed 2 years ago for lifetime warranty or wait and see if they can source a replacement within a few days. I’ve gone down the replacement route, for now. The Alpina is now getting a bit more use.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:29 am

Very strange that they said nothing wrong just gave it a tidy up and now it's toast.
Let's hope they sort it out ASAP and you don't have any problems bleeding the system.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:19 pm

So to keep this far to long post updated, replacement module and pump has returned, fitted, bled and recoded. Trafica lights go from red to amber and now have a code for pressure sensor. On diagnostics it shows 292 bar of pressure at all times although increases if you put your foot on the brake. This pressure (the 292 bar) isn’t being felt at the wheels so still no problem in driving. A quick check shows £138 for the sensor. Expensive. So a check of the Bosch p/n shows it’s fitted to a number of vehicles. So today I removed one from an 05 plate VW Passat, I suppose I should have told the owner :o Right at the top of the engine compartment, 2 minutes. So this weekends work is sorted.