Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear suspension problem

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Rear suspension problem

Post by Raj » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:41 am

Themoog2 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:08 am I know. All the plastering gear has got to go in the range rover which has pleased the wife no end..
Two new bags on order so I should be back in business soon.
Yeah never ideal but guess needs must.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:40 am

So last night under the influence and in the dark I managed to wrestle off the old n/S height sensor.. It took me a while to figure out why it was so difficult to get to the nut but then I remembered that the other one had fell off so it wasn't in the way..
Anyway that's done with a newly painted up bracket. Air springs should be here on Wednesday so I can crack on.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:32 am

Right. The springs came in the post yesterday so last night I set about installation.
All ok until I started it up and it raised itself.. Then bang!
The connection to th top of the n/s bag blew off. Of course, the plastic holding clip dissappeared along with one of the sealing rings..
After searching around the back of the car and driveway I eventually found the clip but I had to salvage an o ring from one of the old bags.
Not sure why that happened but I put it back together and fashioned some spacers to prevent the clip from opening by itself (see photo). It pumped up ok and stayed level overnight so I've just put all the interior trim back in.
I have to say, the way the car drives now is totally different from before. It feels firmer and more planted on the road.
Attachments
IMG_20200923_104529.jpg
IMG_20200923_104529.jpg (144.85 KiB) Viewed 8379 times

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Great you got it all sorted. Nice on the spacers but not sure why it blew off and should stay on no issues normally.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:38 pm

No I don't know either. I did notice that the fittings were tighter on the original air bag spigot. After I connected the new ones up I tried pulling them off but were clipped on - albeit slightly looser.
Anyway, if they don't leak then we are ok..

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:02 pm

Yeah agreed as long as they appear to b eon and not leaking then shouldn't be a problem. Can only assume it just wasn't quite seated properly there first time round. I have had that even with a genuine one where I thought it was on and as soon as it fired up it blew off.

Drgray03

Rear suspension problem

Post by Drgray03 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:02 am

Not sure what the etiquette is here and realizing that this post is 3 years old I ask in the hope you see it. How can I get that air hose connection disconnected if I don't have that black plastic clip you were talking about? Any help would be appreciated

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Rear suspension problem

Post by Raj » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:09 pm

Drgray03 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:02 am Not sure what the etiquette is here and realizing that this post is 3 years old I ask in the hope you see it. How can I get that air hose connection disconnected if I don't have that black plastic clip you were talking about? Any help would be appreciated
No issues with asking for help on an old thread.
Have you any pics as all the ones I’ve seen have the plastic retaining clip as that’s how they’re held on.