Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

4x4 light on, codes for steering angle sensor

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Palantir

4x4 light on, codes for steering angle sensor

Post by Palantir » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:22 am

Hello, have been recommended over from Bimmerforum as wasnt having much luck with advice in the trifecta light on my E53.

2004 3.0d Sport

Got the 90 degree wiper adjustment (or something like that) error code for the steering angle sensor, so decided to have a dabble at changing myself. Used a second hand part. Unfortunately I am still getting the error after putting new one in.. have I missed a crucial step? Alot of posts I am reading mention calibration after coding, I only coded because I have the BMW Scanner v1.4.0, is this why light is still on? If so can someone point me in right direction to what programme I need to calibrate please as im at a lose.

Its worth mentioning before I couldnt erase the error code no matter what on the old sensor but now on the one ive installed it can be cleared but immediately comes back when the steering wheel is moved.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: 4x4 light on, codes for steering angle sensor

Post by Leslie » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:34 pm

Have you turned the car from lock to lock each way .I've heard that suggested on here after power up from a 4x4 error it may not help and other that that I dunno but it sounds like the straight ahead position is not known so the system is confused, this would be critical for any decisions the system has to make .

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: 4x4 light on, codes for steering angle sensor

Post by Raj » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Firstly they thew full lock to lock as mentioned Leslie mentioned.

If that works for a short while then try getting the steering angle sensor reset BUT I personally think if the error returns it's most likely a new sensor needed. I've just had the one on ours replaced under warranty but they did try a reset first but didn't work.