Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

4.4i no start

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
thomp1983

4.4i no start

Post by thomp1983 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi all,

after rebuilding my 4.4i m62 engine i got to the point of starting it and it doesn't want to go it just turns over, it fires on carb spray then cuts out. I tested the fuel pump relay and it operates correctly but there's no 12v at the fuel pump.

Inpa shows an rpm reading whilst cranking so I'm ruling out the crankshaft sensor.

If I supply the fuel pump with it's own power feed pump runs fine and engine starts and runs, when measured there's no continuity on the output wire from the fuel pump relay to the white/blue wire on the pump connector, does anyone know where this wire runs around the interior and if there's any common joints in it?

Thanks
Chris

thomp1983

Re: 4.4i no start

Post by thomp1983 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:20 pm

Sorted it, turns out whoevers had it before me has put the fuel pump relay in the wrong socket, I've had to strip the fuse box to pieces and continuity test the pcb inside to find it though, fires first turn of the key now happy days.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 4.4i no start

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:02 pm

Doh!

That relay cost me over £200 in diagnostics a few years back....for a £10 part. It failed on our diesel E53 and meant the wife having to drive back from West Wales to here (300 miles) in a speed restricted Corsa hire car that wouldn’t go over 65mph! The horror!!!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.