Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Guess the cost..

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Themoog2

Guess the cost..

Post by Themoog2 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:54 pm

Ok.. So I booked the X5 in at a local garage (not the one I normally use) to have to lower front ball joints replaced. You know - the ones that are stupidly pressed into the hub..
Anyway, I got the call on Monday "we have done the drop links so you can collect it'.
Err.. Hello - I said replace the ball joints.
I drove it 5 m then reversed back and said its still knocking.
The guy said 'OK we've got the ball joints so we can do them whenever you want' to which I replied "if you got the joints in why didn't you fit them like I asked?".. "the mechanic thought the drop link was worn"
Ffs..
So I left the car there and they have had it 3 days now. I got the expected call yesterday saying that one of the bolts had snapped off so we will have to remove the hub blah blah.
So how much do you reckon its gonna cost me?
I've not got it back yet so even I don't know..

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Guess the cost..

Post by X5Sport » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:53 pm

A lot more than it should have done would be my guess. If a local garage then about £65/hr plus parts plus VAT. If they changed parts you didn’t agree to then that’s a freebie and on them in my book. :x
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:36 pm

I’ll say.. to change the drop links was £213 which I haven’t paid and have no intention of paying. I could do those myself in 30 min.
Its jolly annoying as the garage I normally use is next door but these guys have my motor home in so I thought I’d just let them do the X5.
I’m really particular about my vehicles and I like things done right but I knew the lower ball joints would be trouble that’s why I decided to farm it out.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:15 am

£213 for the drop links.
You need to be sitting when they give you the next bill.
I bet you don't go there again in a hurry.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:44 pm

Nope. I will never take my car to them again. They have my motor home still but that's OK I couldn't care less about that.
I'm fuming inside as the X5 has been there since Tuesday morning. To change a a ball joint.
I can't phone or I will flip and lose it down the phone so I'm just sitting tight... 😡

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:37 am

Update..
The garage did the job last week but failed to tell me.. I don't know the cost yet as its going to be sorted with the motor home.
More alarming is a really pronounced lifter tick from cold now. The vanos rattles when it's warm anyway but this is something else... Im getting really annoyed now.
Could it just be a lifter with no oil in it after lots of stop / starts in and out of the workshop?
Ill give it a day or so and try the 2000rpm trick to see if that bleeds it out.
Any ideas anyone?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:58 pm

That price just confirms that I couldn’t afford to run mine to a decent standard if I had to pay a garage. Hope the ball joints price don’t make that red face go any more red or there will be a busted blood vessel. :cry:

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:24 pm

Phew!... the lifter tick has gone away.. I’ve never been so relieved to hear just the vanos knock.
I’m off to see a bmw expert near me on Wednesday to see about getting in sorted.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:46 pm

Did it go away with reving it or on its own. What mileage are you on?

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:15 am

165k.
I ran the engine at 2-3000 rpm for 3 min then left it. When I returned 3 hrs later and started it the ticking was gone.
Off to see a bmw expert tomorrow to see where to go with the vanos noise.