Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just got a call from the garage

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi

My cars at an Indy at the moment as the gaiter has split on CV nearside. The warranty ran out about 8 wks ago and it went in just before to have the offside gaiter replaced as that was also split and failed MOT.

I mentioned a barely audible knocking type noise on offside so they looked into that. It turned out it is the drop link and they are doing this as we speak.

I know people are always interested in the cost for repairs so thought I would post some info. The gaiter replacement was £174 and the drop link £60.

Here's hoping that it back and driving well this afternoon and now all I have left to do is get the bumper done after a pleb drove into it at a carpark.

To all you DIY mechanics please don't make me feel to bad about the price as I would not have a clue about how to do it myself! Lol
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

Pewters

Re: Just got a call from the garage

Post by Pewters » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:22 pm

I mentioned before that i ahve a cv gator to do and not looking forward to it so i dont blame anyone paying for that ...........the drop link will take them longer to remove and refit the wheel but the main thing is they found the knocking and it will be all done.

I only do what repairs i can so i got money for mods :driving:

You bumper Penny..........you go tany pics ?? Just wondering if it could be polished out or can you see the primer underneath ? You will be suprised what makes can just be sanded and polished ;)

shocks

Post by shocks » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:39 am

[quote=""ITBarbie""]Hi

My cars at an Indy at the moment as the gaiter has split on CV nearside. The warranty ran out about 8 wks ago and it went in just before to have the offside gaiter replaced as that was also split and failed MOT.

I mentioned a barely audible knocking type noise on offside so they looked into that. It turned out it is the drop link and they are doing this as we speak.

I know people are always interested in the cost for repairs so thought I would post some info. The gaiter replacement was £174 and the drop link £60.

Here's hoping that it back and driving well this afternoon and now all I have left to do is get the bumper done after a pleb drove into it at a carpark.

To all you DIY mechanics please don't make me feel to bad about the price as I would not have a clue about how to do it myself! Lol[/quote]

Ouch - my 4.4 was in for service and MOT today at a very good indy here in edinburgh, it cost me £350.19 all in, £114 for bits & £138 labour (+VAT) & £54 MOT, service (Inspection I) and bits (including a split gaiter CV as well !lol) which consisted of oil filter, oil(inc desposal), rear wiper (it was truly needing done), bulb (75p!!! woop) plus a few other bits and pieces that needed seeing to.
Current
Macan GTS
M135, the commuter
991 GT3 - The Toy III

History
E39 520 - family lugger
E53 4.4 Sport
E70-FL 4.0d M-Sport; Lots of toys
996 Turbo - The Toy
991 Cab S - The Toy II
numerous others...

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:06 pm

[quote=""Pewters""]I mentioned before that i ahve a cv gator to do and not looking forward to it so i dont blame anyone paying for that ...........the drop link will take them longer to remove and refit the wheel but the main thing is they found the knocking and it will be all done.

You bumper Penny..........you go tany pics ?? Just wondering if it could be polished out or can you see the primer underneath ? You will be suprised what makes can just be sanded and polished ;)[/quote]

Hi Pewters

Just got car back :D he told me that when the guy refurbed the front wheels about a month ago he put them on the wrong way round. He said something about directional tyres. I had to admit I would have noticed if the back were on the front but not the swap on the front but hey what do I know!

Anyway here is the picture of the scrape. What do you think? There is no dents as such just cosmetic

Last edited by ITBarbie on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:09 pm

[quote=""shocks""]Ouch - my 4.4 was in for service and MOT today at a very good indy here in edinburgh, it cost me £350.19 all in, £114 for bits & £138 labour (+VAT) & £54 MOT, service (Inspection I) and bits (including a split gaiter CV as well !lol) which consisted of oil filter, oil(inc desposal), rear wiper (it was truly needing done), bulb (75p!!! woop) plus a few other bits and pieces that needed seeing to.[/quote]

Hi Shocks

That sounds like a great price you Jammie dodger obvioulsy in Surrey prices are somewhat more expensive :rofl:
MODS

Nat_h

Post by Nat_h » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:30 pm

re the scrape, all I can say is ouch, and I assume its on the rear bumper?

Did the person who damaged it leave a note, as that looks like a respray to me.
2003 Sterling Grey 4.4i X5

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Note I wish. It was white a powdery maybe a white van man or woman :-(

Nat you were from the old forum Im sure I recognise the name ?
MODS

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi ITBarbie,

That's not a scrape! That will probably need some filling too. Don't think that will polish out... :cry:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Pewters

Post by Pewters » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Bad news Penny..........that looks nasty and will need painting sorry hun :(

What i would do it get some Meguires Scratch X and give it a damn good polish...........any paint off the other car will come off and and light scratches and it will just make it a little easier on the eye ;)

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:55 pm

I know but for what it worth it looks worse in the photo. People are such :wkr: (been dying to use that one)

It goes in Friday morning. The guy recons about £90 but he has not even seen it yet!!!
MODS

Pewters

Post by Pewters » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Is he spraying the whole bumper ?

Dont let him do half coz you will see it in the sun.

bullethead

Post by bullethead » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:05 pm

[quote=""ITBarbie""][quote=""Pewters""]I mentioned before that i ahve a cv gator to do and not looking forward to it so i dont blame anyone paying for that ...........the drop link will take them longer to remove and refit the wheel but the main thing is they found the knocking and it will be all done.

You bumper Penny..........you go tany pics ?? Just wondering if it could be polished out or can you see the primer underneath ? You will be suprised what makes can just be sanded and polished ;)[/quote]

Hi Pewters

Just got car back :D he told me that when the guy refurbed the front wheels about a month ago he put them on the wrong way round. He said something about directional tyres. I had to admit I would have noticed if the back were on the front but not the swap on the front but hey what do I know!

Anyway here is the picture of the scrape. What do you think? There is no dents as such just cosmetic

Image[/quote]
OUCH nice flipflops

Pewters

Post by Pewters » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:07 pm

The scrape we are looking at fella :fuelfire: :rofl:

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:53 pm

It was 250 for a full respray by BMW when mrs pvr touched a wall a few years back ...
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi

I thought about £250. I will take heed in what Pewters said about the fact that it may show if I font have the full spray. Still I will have to stump up as I can't stand looking at it!!
MODS