Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Running on Biodiesel

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Running on Biodiesel

Post by Smeeagain » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Does anyone have an experience of runnign on biodiesel - various website state that you can run it with no issue or modification. BMw have told me it will damage the engine if used in more than 5% of the tankful - Shell (or it may be BP I cannot remember) already have 7% in their fuels so that kind of disproves BMW's arguement unless we are all runnign round with damaged engines ......

bullethead

Re: Running on Biodiesel

Post by bullethead » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:17 pm

Personally I had a 2002 mitsubishi shogun that I ran for over a year on straight recycled veg oil with no probs. Used to mix diesel with it in winter as it was too thick when cold to pull through fuel filter and run lumpy till warm ( alternative was to add a non kerosene based white spirit )but other than that no visible issues. Friend has a garage and services local taxi fleet who use veggie oil and he informs me that some biodiesels contain an additive that perishes seals in injectors and pumps. Hope this helps

bullethead

Re: Running on Biodiesel

Post by bullethead » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:19 pm

N.B some biodiesel at the mo is dearer than bog standard diesel, manufacturers claim it costs more to produce :roll: