Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear tyres & 4 wheel tracking

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Bigkeg

Rear tyres & 4 wheel tracking

Post by Bigkeg » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Car failed MOT on the rear tyres, they were down to the cord
about 2mm in on the inside rest of tread ok. I have had the tyres replaced
£220 from local supplier. I also have had the 4 wheel tracking done cost
£50 found that the near side rear was off the scale. I now have a problem
were the steering wheel is not sitting level only off a bit but enough to
show in my eyeline which is doing my head in.
I had a printout of the before and after settings and they are showing everything
correct. Any advice as what i should do next.

Bigkeg

stevox5

Re: Rear tyres & 4 wheel tracking

Post by stevox5 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Hello Mate

If the steering wheel was streight before the alignment then the tracking has been adjusted without centering the steering wheel first which is what should be done.The print out may show all of the readings to be correct but you have to lock the steering wheel in the centered position before completing any adjustments because if its slightly off center the tracking will be incorrectly adjusted and you will then have the wheel offset when driving in a streight line.
I would take it back show them the problem on a road test and ask them to recheck it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve
X5 3.0i Topaz Blue , Paddle shift steering wheel , Pioneer double din sat nav,Alpine speaker upgrade,  Remap, HID's,20inch lemans alloys,lemans arch kit,Depo light kit,carbon fiber interior wrap.
1989 BMW 325i SPORT E30 Fully equiped summer toy.

Pewters

Post by Pewters » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Steve is spot on mate...........i dont know why they have the engine running when he do the tracking coz if you locked the steering wheel straight you would'nt get this :headbang:

Bigkeg

Post by Bigkeg » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:01 pm

They did put the steering level gadget thing inside.
Can only assume steering wheel not level as you said.
Will take it back for them to sort out, thanks for the info.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:33 pm

This happened to me and it is down to not getting the brace on the wheel spot on - when I first started to get alignements/tracking done to cars. I always say it must be dead on once completed otheriwse it's coming back, now.

They screwed-up so they will have to set the tracking with the steering wheel dead straight. Don't let them take the wheel off and move it one sprocket over! That's the shortcut way and the wrong way!

They have to redo all your tracking again now. Most of the work is done but it is more work. Rookie mistake on there part! :thumbsdown:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:14 am

£50 for a 4 wheel alignment :o that is dirt cheap iirc i payed £100 ish last time and that was through an indy as the stealers wanted about £200 to do it.
As for the wheel take it back as the others have said they will have to correct there mistake.
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Bigkeg

Post by Bigkeg » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:09 pm

All sorted, went back to garage spoke with fitter he told me
I was not the only one to return with a problem. They had to get
the tracking system recalibrated as it was not operating properly.

drb5

Post by drb5 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:51 pm

Camber of the road will always pull a car to the left, thus the steering wheel will always need a tweak to the right a touch.
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d Sport Auto, 168 style 20's, silver 4.8IS grille, tinted back windows, black leather with titanium trim, sat nav, PS2 media center with hard drive, TV's in headrests, TV in motion, Dice Silverline and a few others toys!