Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Draining overnight

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
slieverue

Re: Battery Draining overnight

Post by slieverue » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:36 pm

[quote=""AW8""]Just beware a new battery will hide any underlying drain issue for a good while.

I know this because I changed mine only to find weeks later I had the same overnight drain issues.

The problem was the FSR...............Because the fan was only running very slightly with ignition off it was bearly aubible, thus I had totally failed to diagnose the faulty FSR & depeite being more than aware of how to diagnose.

Checking for a faulty FSR is easy.

1. Sit in car with engine running and aircon on auto

2.Turn off ignition & remove key.

3. Stay in car & activate locking with fob, then press key fob button once more immediately threafter, ( you have effectively initiated shutting things down & also deactivated the internal alarm sensors.

4. Sit for 10-15 mins and listen for faint fan noise which indicates FSR is defective.

5. Other symptoms will inlcude fan sounding erratic underpowered or as if it is labouring when on in everyday use.

It is well worth for folk to check this now as the last thing folk want in colder months is a car that wont start, (winter temps can make any drain impact battery performance more than in summer).

The failing FSRs tend to be of an older design & I dont know if BMW changed over to a newer one during the E53's life or not. Perhaps if anyone knows if this is the cae or can provide a definitive date for this they will post here.

silvervue - Have noted your comments on mileage. I'm not wishing to spoil party & sincerely hope you sorted it in abscence of FSR issue........still worth checking FSR condition though ,(if not already done).[/quote]

AW8

Did this a while ago and nothing to report. So I'm hoping it was just a old battery that hadnt been run properly.

I've had no issues since I changed the old battery - thankfully!!

Cheers

Tony
Current:
57 Reg 3.0D SE Monaco Blue

Previous:
06 Reg 3.0D Le Mans with Pano Roof
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Glad all good :)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

lizzie

Post by lizzie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Just a question on batteries, does anyone know what current the battery should show after shutdown?
Still working through mine at mo but if someone could give me this info would help alot. Thanks
Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:16 pm

[quote=""lizzie""]Just a question on batteries, does anyone know what current the battery should show after shutdown?
Still working through mine at mo but if someone could give me this info would help alot. Thanks
Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
It should read 12v+ after shutdown and around 13v+ with engine running
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

lizzie

Post by lizzie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Sorry not really explained it very well, what I mean is what's the maximum current the car should be draining from the battery after shut down i.e on hubbys passat it is 0.2 amps so this is the figure I was looking for. Thanks Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk