Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Draining overnight

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
slieverue

Post by slieverue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi all

I've done a quick search on here, but wanted some additional clarification.

Basically, got the new (new to me at least) X5 the other day and next morning it wouldn't start. Got it jump started and it worked okay for the rest of the day after a good long run (about 50 miles). I did notice however that the plastic cover over the +ve terminal under the bonnet was open - this leads me to suspect that the battery had been "topped" up before I test drove it and then just before I collected the car. I am a wee bit annoyed if I'm honest, but probably would have still bought the car even if they'd told me about it.

Anyway, my thinking is as follows: the car has battery that has sulphated (lead sulphate crystals build up on the lead plates) because it hasn't been used very much (about 10,000 miles over 2 years) and just needs replaced as it no longer holds it's charge very well. Also, I understood that most battery's have a life span of 2-3 years if not used correctly. Any takers on that "fact"?

I know about FSR's causing battery drainage but the car has only covered 25,000 miles, so I've kinda ruled that out.

Any other reason for battery drainage? General thoughts?

Oh and how do I get into the hidden OBC menu to check the actual battery voltage.

Thanks for any answers.

Tony
Current:
57 Reg 3.0D SE Monaco Blue

Previous:
06 Reg 3.0D Le Mans with Pano Roof
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Battery Draining overnight

Post by Sanj » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Could be a battery that needs replacing, stick it on an overnight charge and see how you go. My original BMW battery lasted just shy of 6 years.

Jeegnesh is your man for that hidden menu but here is a link he posted a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=190&p=2009&hilit=Menu#p2009

Also do a quick search for 'battery drain' and you can see some suggestions others have made, watching TV, all interior lights on (10 of them), etc...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks Sanj

that really helped - it is test NR09 and it was reading 13.8V with the engine switched on (as you would expect) but dropped to 12.2 with the engine off. Going to check it again first thing in the morning to see how far it drops.

Got a new Bosch battery on order anyway, but will be interesting to see whats happening with the voltage.

Cheers

Tony
Current:

Previous:
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:29 pm

Wee update for those that are interested.....

Battery was 11.2V according to the OBC this morning - hmmm not good me thinks. Still started, but was a bit of a struggle.

Lets hope the new battery is okay - otherwise it's going to be a real PITA to troubleshoot.

Cheers

Tony
Current:

Previous:
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:21 am

Hi all

Replaced battery this morning and what a difference. Checked the indicator window on the old battery and it was black but yellow around the sides. Black meant battery not fully charged and full yellow meaning replace battery.

Anyway checked the voltage of the new bettery tonight before going to bed and it was sitting at 12.2V - so a bit better than 10.8V as it has been.

Now that battery is changed do I need to reset any settings apart from the time and date?

Cheers

Tony
Current:

Previous:
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:13 am

Did you check that your satnav is working ok? And that you still have your phone settings etc available.

Sometimes after a battery change, they disappear.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

drb5

Post by drb5 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:03 pm

A car battery lasts on average 5 years, though sometimes you can get unlucky and it lasts less than a day.

:D
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d Sport Auto, 168 style 20's, silver 4.8IS grille, tinted back windows, black leather with titanium trim, sat nav, PS2 media center with hard drive, TV's in headrests, TV in motion, Dice Silverline and a few others toys!

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks pvr

Everything seems to be in good order since the battery change over.

Car is running so much better too.

Cheers

Tony
Current:

Previous:
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Just beware a new battery will hide any underlying drain issue for a good while.

I know this because I changed mine only to find weeks later I had the same overnight drain issues.

The problem was the FSR...............Because the fan was only running very slightly with ignition off it was bearly aubible, thus I had totally failed to diagnose the faulty FSR & depeite being more than aware of how to diagnose.

Checking for a faulty FSR is easy.

1. Sit in car with engine running and aircon on auto

2.Turn off ignition & remove key.

3. Stay in car & activate locking with fob, then press key fob button once more immediately threafter, ( you have effectively initiated shutting things down & also deactivated the internal alarm sensors.

4. Sit for 10-15 mins and listen for faint fan noise which indicates FSR is defective.

5. Other symptoms will inlcude fan sounding erratic underpowered or as if it is labouring when on in everyday use.

It is well worth for folk to check this now as the last thing folk want in colder months is a car that wont start, (winter temps can make any drain impact battery performance more than in summer).

The failing FSRs tend to be of an older design & I dont know if BMW changed over to a newer one during the E53's life or not. Perhaps if anyone knows if this is the cae or can provide a definitive date for this they will post here.

silvervue - Have noted your comments on mileage. I'm not wishing to spoil party & sincerely hope you sorted it in abscence of FSR issue........still worth checking FSR condition though ,(if not already done).
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:53 pm

AW8

Response noted and it's a good point - much better to get this sorted before winter really takes hold.

Will test and feed back.

Fingers crossed!!!

Cheers

Tony
Current:

Previous:
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:00 pm

;)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

lizzie

Post by lizzie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:25 am

Hi rather than start a new thread thought I might add to this one for help. Bought the X 2 months ago and had total battery drain so put new battery on. Been fine since then even when left for a weekend without use but got in today and flat with alarm bleeping. This time car been not driven for 4 days but did move it about on drive a couple of times is this a possible cause of battery drain. Jump started eventually and hopefully be ok now. Had same problem few months back with hubby's car and that was due to just moving it around on drive, been fine ever since. Also going on hols for a couple of weeks soon any advice on what to with battery or as long as not started should it be ok ? :(

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Lizzie,

Not uncommon for car battery to striggle if you only start and stop on the drive. But you have a replacement battery so that should have coped with those short start-ups.

Is you driving habit short journies, with lots of start/stops. Or do you get to give it a blast on the major roads. Helps top it up.

The alarm was going off (sign battery is flat) but it's never gone off before has it? If so, x555 identified his bonnet release button (just that sitting up near the drivers side, next to the firewall). Also, no issues with FSR??? Is the SatNav screen going off after the iBus shuts down (15 mins usually).

If you're on hols soon - take a battery/trickle charger with you. You can stick the car on charge overnight, so you don't get the problem in the morning.

Best of luck, hope it helps...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

lizzie

Post by lizzie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:23 am

Hi Sanj

Thanks for the help. My day to day driving is 10miles to work and 10 miles back, sometimes have to do running around which can involve alot of short stops. Not actually taking car on hols so hoping with not using it for 2 wks it will be ok. No problems today. Thanks again. :)

ChrisLux

Post by ChrisLux » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:04 pm

I've got a problem with my '05 3.0d , where it always seems as if the battery is running low , because
when you start , it's not a 'clean' turnover , it's sluggish , but I've had it tested at 2 dealers , and they both
say that there is nothing wrong . However , I know it's not right because my E39 3.0d has never sounded
like this starting .

So , I bought my self a Solar battery charger ;

http://www.vertar.com/battery-chargers- ... -chargers/

I leave it plugged in all the time , and I must say there is an improvement (although it's still not 100% to
be honest) but at least it's piece of mind in case .
rgers-conditioners/solar-car-battery-chargers/
Maybe this would help you too as you only do short journeys ??

Chris
'97 E36 B8 4.6 Touring (19/27) , Individual Tannen Grun

'02 E39 ACS5 3.0d Touring , Individual Velvet Blau - sold

'05 E53 X5 3.0d , Sapphire Schwartz

'07 R56 Mini Cooper S , Astro Schwartz

Freude am Fahren - Sheer Driving Pleasure