Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear disc removal

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
gmc15

Rear disc removal

Post by gmc15 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:58 am

I have got some new discs for the rear of the car, but I am having trouble getting the old discs off. I think the handbreak shoes are catching on the inside of the drum stopping it pulling off. I have read threads about backing off the discs by putting a screwdriver through the back of the drum and adjusting the shoes, but with the wheels not moving when jacked up this is not possible.
Any ideas how to get the old discs off? I did my 5 series a few years ago and it was quite easy. The x5 is proving to be a bit more difficult :(

Graeme.
x6 M50d

macky

Re: Rear disc removal

Post by macky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Raise both rear wheels and they should turn, back off the adjusters, chances are the discs will be solid on the hub spigot, hammertime with a copper mallet around the drum and they will release.
I take it you have removed the retaining screw. :thumbsup:

When you get them off I would be interested to know what state the shoes/drums are as mine were basically a heap of rust.

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks, will try both wheels off the ground. The disc is quite slack and I don't think the shoes are seized, but I suspect that there is a groove on the inside of the discqand the shoes are catching on it so I can't quite get them off. Everything seems loose so hopefully backing off the adjusters should do it.
What about slackening off the adjusters inside the car near the handbrake itself?
x6 M50d

ice climber

Post by ice climber » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi
I had to give up in the end, ran out of time so had just to throw new pads in. Job outstanding, new Brembo discs waiting and I still haven't find out why they will not come off. I suspect the handbrake shoes and the issue of wear as this is reported quite often across a number of forums and some mention about releasing a mechanism but when you look at the parts diagram it don't make sense. I must just be thick!
Current
Preface 3.0 Sport

Have beens
Too many to list!

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Thats how I left mine - old discs and new pads :( Will have another go when I get time.
x6 M50d

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Job done :D
Backed off the adjusters next to the handbrake, raised both rear wheels off the ground, backed off adjusters inside old drum and with a bit of brute force, managed to get the old discs off. Very badly corroded on inside of disc and even worse on inside of drum bit where the handbrake shoes work.
New discs went on easily and handbrake adjusted up.
Now everything is back together again the handbrake is not very good, so tomorrow it is both back wheels off the ground and adjust it :)

Graeme.
x6 M50d