Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air bag light on?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Keetybwoy

Air bag light on?

Post by Keetybwoy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:28 pm

Hello everyone,

My air bag light has come on. I have noticed for a week or so a slight rubbing noise coming from the steering wheel whilst turning. I am probably adding 1+1 and making 3 but it's too much of a coincidence to ignore.

Any thoughts would be grateful.

I take it the air bag has been disengaged automatically by the car as it recognises a fault.

Cheers, Keith
2005 X5 3.0d
2008 335d msport coupe
Pound for pound the best rounded manufacturer for the money.

bazzyboy

Re: Air bag light on?

Post by bazzyboy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:11 pm

im 90% sure m8 its ur slip ring part no----Switch unit steering column --- 61318379091
this went in mine there is a ribbon connector which wears out with the steering wheel movment causing the airbag light to come on
as it gets incorrrect readings so flags up the light
only way to fix is replace the slip ring, this is straightforward enough 4 torx if i recall
involves removing the airbag then the steering wheel first to access it though
only prob you will have is after refitting you need a code reader to reset the light
other than that not to bad at all
cheers baz
Black 3.0d sport

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 pm

I'll second that - slip ring. Not a mission to remove - if you have a heated steering wheel it will be different from non...

Shout e a PM and I can send you the PDF for retro-fitting a heated steering wheel which shows the slip ring replacement too.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Junkie

Post by Junkie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:24 pm

Also experienced on my E46 was the connector to the seat sensors that went high resistance and had to be cleaned and made good....

Diagnostics all the way.

Keetybwoy

Post by Keetybwoy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks a load guys.

I'll get straight onto it.

Sanj I've seen your guide to fitting a heated steering wheel. Thanks for that fella.

I will keep an update of my progression.

Cheers y'all.
Keith :driving:
2005 X5 3.0d
2008 335d msport coupe
Pound for pound the best rounded manufacturer for the money.