Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Relentless failures = had enough

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Junkie

Relentless failures = had enough

Post by Junkie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Got two new tyres today, quite pleased that I got a good deal and all four are now matching with lots of tread for the coming winter....

There's a bit of history with this car, and true to form the header tank started leaking today, a sure sign the water pump has failed/is failing.

72K on the clock, so about right according to threads on Xoutpost, so I've ordered the part to fix at the weekend, cant risk the headgaskets.

I've had enough now, someone else can take it on as a work in progress, I hesitate to use the phrase 'labour of love' as I have grown to dislike it a great deal.

So, rain or shine my weekend is f****d as will be my knuckles no doubt, a couple of additional small jobs and after a decent valet soon to be seen on Pistonheads or similar.

Thankyou and goodnight.

thedweeb

Re: Relentless failures = had enough

Post by thedweeb » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:35 pm

oh dear!
Black with Cream Pre-Facelift 3.0d sport.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:02 am

Sorry to hear this,

My header tank failed at 90k...........its a known weak spot but I am sure you know that.

I sourced a new one & changed it myself............iirc you have taken on more than me working on your X5, however, I found the header tank change a relatively easy job.

My indy reckons the following for are indicators of a water pump on the way out :

1. Water pump making excessive of noteable increased noise.

2. Dripping of coolant from around the water pump.

3. Excess play on the big nut on front of water pump ( on mine behind the coolant fan).

Not totally dismissing comments from other boards,however, I have never been aware of a link between header tank & water pump failure.

Granted some BMW water pumps not renowned for durability,however, I believe you can source aftermarket pumps for the 3.0i with metal impellers.

More than aware you seem very fed up with the car & Christmas fast approaching can make unwanted bills unpleasant for many of us.

If you sell then so be it, however, if you do then I hope you only do so for the right reasons.

I appreciate indies dont work f.o.c. but reasonable indy rates & perhaps owner sourced parts, can provide a middle ground between main dealer & cut knuckles.

Good Luck whatever you decide ;)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:27 am

Sorry to hear that fella! good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Junkie

Post by Junkie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Cheers guys, appreciate the sentiments.

When the header tank return pipe fractured miles from home, the AA mans bodge repair was noteable in as much as with the header bleed valve removed the water spout was several feet high on startup. I tried the same after reading the plastic impellers fail over time, only the flow was minimal but very hot, hotter than i would expect for a couple of miles round trip.

The noise from the header cap is one of pressure release, rather than a weep (thats my part), although coolant does leak out until the system cools down.

I'll do my best to photograph the swap out, just for interest.

TTFN

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:01 am

Apologies I am no mechanic, however, I am NOW a little confused.

1. Have you replaced the return pipe & if so is the header tank actually leaking ?

2. Have you changed the bleed valve ? ( yet again another item that can fail).

3. Any of the afotrementioned symptoms I mentioned ?

Header tank is more than capable of failing on own accord even with a decent pump. Mine was obviously fractured and coolant seeen leaking from damaged area.

My tank was fine for 2.5 yrs after the new return & 12 months after the new valve albeit I knew tanks all seem to go at some point.

Apologies if I am being thick & have missed something obvious in your posting just keen for you to avoid grazed knuckles unless necessary.

I must add I have never replaced my water pump, (as stated many times I am by no means mechanically gifted).

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:11 am

Junkie, is your car a V8? If so, the coolant systems are renowned for running high pressure - plastics in the header and other components can become brittle over time especially if the wrong coolant is used and this can explain failures. Not always down to the waterpump / thermo etc. As AW8 mentions too, bleed valve is well known to cause problems and is a part that should be replaced when you replace your header just to be on the safe side.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

Junkie

Post by Junkie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:22 pm

Ok chaps, for clarity and the little bit of sanity I cling on to since working in London's square mile...

It is a V8, I have checked the double o-rings on the tank cap, and based on my experience am happy they should hold back the system pressure, plus the final seal on the cap itself. I will however have a look at a replacement from the stealers and see if there is a difference in the deformity of the said rings.

I have replaced the bleed valve after it sheared and left me without a car for the sake of 75p. I bought two btw.

The header isn't leaking per-se, the pressure relief is apparent through capillary from the thread of the cap.

Amusingly however, the replacement pump arrived today in a box big enough to house a replacement rim, I haven't opened it yet as the new Virgin Media was installed today and toys will be toys....

From the various posts on xoutpost and symptoms I am venturing into the swapout, watch this space and the great debate on what the outcome is.

Hey, at least it may help someone else in the long run....

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:06 am

Clearly you're intent on swapping out the pump & yes I agree that any advice/phoos will be of use to others.

Fwiw when my V8 header failed I could see collant seeping from a perforation in the top casting & close to the cap.

I had a spare bleed valve & your post has now got me wondering where I put it.

Good Luck

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:36 am

I had been asking myself why I seemed so intent in discouraging you from swapping out the water pump unless absolutely required.

Having just read a very thorough diy guide from hayaku on xoutpost here I have reminded myself why I wouldn't be keen.

For me I suspect the pain would begin at Step 10. I suspect I might struggle due to a lack of extensive & BMW tools. I suspect that my relative lack of mechanical expertise would be a negative factor.

I suspect you have probably read the above guide, (full credit & thanks to hayaku & xoutpost).........if not then I am sure you will.

I sincerely wish you good luck if you go ahead with this.

Junkie

Post by Junkie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:22 pm

One of the hardest things I do in my life is admit when I'm not wrong, but blinded by a red mist mission instead, possibly worse. :headbang:

Starting this morning in bright sunshine and blue skies, I assembled the armoury along with my laptop and the hayaku thread on 'how to ruin your saturday'.

If nothing else, make doubly sure you have absolutely all the tools necessary or repent at your leisure.

About a third of the way in and not yet past the point of no return my best buddy turned up, albeit on crutches bearing a 32mm spanner, giving a moment of clarity that we often share when either of us are hammering something to death instead of actually standing back and analysing the poor item under scrutiny.

So, putting it all back together and refilling the system, sans new pump, the evidence was clear, the water level moved when the car was started and clearly visible with the expansion tank cap removed. A sign the pump is doing something, you may have noticed I often miss out the basics and go for the more complex approach.

Replacing the cap the leak was detected from the vent section on the knurled bits of the cap and not the threads as originally thought, no pattern to it but leaking none the less.

Next steps: New cap, return pump, consume vast amounts of red wine (with chicken), phone the Fosters helpline, flog it when its fixed.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:25 pm

ahhhh mustn't forget the chicken now ;) twas nice knowing you my spanner yeilding freind hic hic here's to the red wine :icb: :drinkwine:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:34 pm

Hmmm.................So you're keeping the original pump & have seemingly narrowed things down.

Close scrutiny can be required to narrow down an exact leak source. I thought my cap was defective, however, I eventually found a perforated area to the top of the tank & close to the cap aperture, (fwiw I find that talc can help identify exact sources of minor leaks).

..........Would now be a bad time to say I think I may have a spare expansion tank cap somewhere ?

Must go now - have to finish my beer :exitright:

Junkie

Post by Junkie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:09 pm

Cap replaced, fixed the problem. Pump returned.

Fault codes showed front and rear abs sensors, rear cleared on reset, front didn't clear (ebay cheapo, don't do it folks). BMW replacement ordered.

Taking bets after the weekend when no faults are alarming, no bits stopping other bits working and no leaks.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Glad your geting there & coolant issue sorted - especially for price of a cap.

X5 staying or going ?