Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tired of £££££££ on tyres

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:58 am

Gang

at 190k miles my 4.6 has always had Diamaris on the back and loved it..each set would give me 40 plus k of wear without fault....

at this millage i seem to no longer want to spend 600 quid on another set...

has anyone used the cheaper tyres??

Any advice would be great......

im ready to change...they are bold in the middle as they always go on mine dispite perfect pressure regulaly checked....

bless you gang

Lee G..Drummerboy
Drummerboy 1
Castle Donington, Derbyshire

2003 4.6is Estoril/Black fully loaded 63k FSH
1995 Porsche 993 Cabriolet Midnight Blue/Cream/110k/FMDSH/GT3 Alloys/Mint

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Tired of £££££££ on tyres

Post by Turks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:15 am

I keep Diamaris on the back of mine... but I understand at 190k miles the car's value might not warrant £600 for a set of rear tyres.

I know of people that have had Toyo's and found them to be pretty good in all weathers and about half the price too. I'm pretty sure they get good mileage out of them too!

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:17 am

plenty of choice out there mate bridgestone,toyo's etc etc.
I've had all sorts on my x5's from diamaris to ditchfinders :rofl:
Toyo's are a good 'cheaper' alternative to michis or you could be a real cheap skate like me and put some nexan's on for about £100 each :oops: .Not my tyre of choice but ressesion and all that :roll: ......having said that i have noticed no difference between my cheaper tyres and the expensive michis in fact they have been awsome for the money and to add performed fantastic in all the snow we had last year.
I'm keeping an eye on the mileage so when they need replacing i will post up what mileage i got out of them to compare with the more expensive tyres...i'm expecting them not to last as long but so far so good :D

BTW thats without nanny driving either from me or the missus :driving:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

thedweeb

Post by thedweeb » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:19 am

I put Toyos on the back of mine earlier in the year and they seem fine. I paid £310 fitted with four wheel tracking so not so bad.
Black with Cream Pre-Facelift 3.0d sport.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:10 pm

I hope you have checked your maths correctly - If you can get a set of four 20" staggered Diamaris for £600 then you are doing very well...............I can only assume you used Costco when the discount is on.

The only physical downside for the Summer Diamaris is their relative shortfall in the snow.

As mentioned for summer use the Toyos do seem to be favoured (bigger following in the USA)....dont know how they fare for all season use & they would be a logical choice if better in snow/ice than the Michelin Diamaris summer tyres.

Vredestein Sennata,(or whatever they are called), seem favoured albeit nobody I know of on here has done massive miles from a set yet & the rolling resistance performance isn't brilliant, ( i.e. mpg a little higher supposedly- source of info a uk car magazine group test auto express or autocar I think).

I have also been seing more comments recently re the merits of using winter tyres all year around. Wear in summer wont be as good but if winter wear may offset this. If you buy correctly you will have rubber that will cope well in wet, cold & snow yet shouldnt be dire in summer assuming you dont seek every last bit of grip on rare hot summer tarmac.

Prior to recently folk only ever spoke of winter tyres being swapped for winter months but when you look at the varied uk weather & majority of conditions here then there is a logic wintewr tyres all year around. Also consider plenty of other 4x4's (Landy Disco's etc) supposedly run winter rubber all year around & without issues. Vredestein make the wintrac & other makes out there.

Developing the winter tyre discussion further those who swap in colder months and revert to summer rubber in milder months usually spec a smaller wheel set up for the winter tyres on basis they cut through ice/snow better. You could buy winter 20" tyres but if you went for smaller winter rims then conside that due to slightly bigger brakes the 4.6is & 4.8is wont take smaller than 18" rims. If your agenda is to save a few £s then you wont want two sets anyway so this info really for more general consumption of 4.6is & 4.8is owners & to avoid folk buying 17's that wont fit.

Fwiw since owning mine I have only run on Diamaris. I researched winter rims & rubber & really would have liked a seperate set of winter tyres & rims for colder months, however, quiet simply I cant presently justify the expense ! (despite being more than aware of the obvious safety issues). Thus I simply take it easy in the snow........... I had to drive to Suffolk last year in the snow & whilst I am sure winter tyres would have been far better the Diamaris were ok once I had spent an hour in order to get off the driveway !

Oh & back to summer rubber IMO the tread pattern on the Vredestein summer tyres is one of the nicest to the eye albeit this shouldnt really be top priority.

Must go - even boring myself now!
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Bench

Post by Bench » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:20 pm

I had the Falkens on mine and found them excellent in summer or winter. I only did approx 20k miles on them but looked in good nick and that was on 22" wheels with spacers.

philip600

Post by philip600 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi,

Mines got Toyo's on 20" staggered 168's & I've been quite impressed with them. They performed well in last winters snow & are wearing well. They were on when I bought the car a year ago & I've put 9k on them since then & the backs have probably 5mm & the fronts about 4mm but with more wear on the outside edges. Not sure how new they were when I purchased it.

Only thing I would say is that I've had a couple of times when the rears seem to slide when I have had the box in sport mode & it downshifts 2 gears in the wet ( maybe they lock up briefly ? ) & another time a few weeks ago when all four wheels seemed to lose traction on a sharp left hand bend. Nothing too scary ( although a 4 wheel slde in a 2 ton vehicle isn't recommended ) the electronics sorted it out before I'd had much chance to react. It could even have been diesel on the road rather then the tyres, again it was wet & although I don't drive like a looney I don't hang about :driving:

As I said these have been on since I bought the car so I can't compare with other makes but at the price I'll be more then happy sticking with them.
Only thing I would add is that I don't like the idea of different makes / compounds front & rear so if it was me I'd change all 4 rather then leave michelins on the front.
Hope this helps.
2005 3.0d Le Mans auto - Now gone :-( but replaced with an Audi A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition 177PS :-)
1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet - NOW SOLD.
1996 Lotus Esprit S4s in Mica Yellow.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:40 am

[quote=""AW8""]I hope you have checked your maths correctly - If you can get a set of four 20" staggered Diamaris for £600 then you are doing very well...............I can only assume you used Costco when the discount is on.

The only physical downside for the Summer Diamaris is their relative shortfall in the snow.

As mentioned for summer use the Toyos do seem to be favoured (bigger following in the USA)....dont know how they fare for all season use & they would be a logical choice if better in snow/ice than the Michelin Diamaris summer tyres.

Vredestein Sennata,(or whatever they are called), seem favoured albeit nobody I know of on here has done massive miles from a set yet & the rolling resistance performance isn't brilliant, ( i.e. mpg a little higher supposedly- source of info a uk car magazine group test auto express or autocar I think).
[/quote]

I think he was talking about £600 just for the two rears in the Diamaris? I found Diamaris to perform pretty well in the Ice / Snow last year... didn't let me down when picking a friend up who lives at the top of a 1:4 hill... coming down I just used the Hill Descent Control and no issues.

On the Vredestein Sennata... can you get these to fit the 20" 315 rears? If you could, I would really consider buying a set.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:34 am

Guys

The knowledge and interest is frighenting...needless to say a massive thanks to those who have commented and advised...it was 600 for the too back ones not all four (i wish).... i mite just go with the £100 ones!!!!....almost feel excited at spending soo little money on them.....its normally the pain of the pleasure with our x's as you know but somehow this feels like a good deal, a statement that dosnt match the type of cars we drive...

i will look and feed back.....

i no it sounds poncey but i love the comfort and smoothness of my 4.6 and had been as worried about losing that as the tread in the weather..god i sound like a woman...no pun barbie.....hopefully they wont be too rumbly..

Thanks again gang....love it...bless you

Lee Drummerboy :D :thumbsup:
Drummerboy 1
Castle Donington, Derbyshire

2003 4.6is Estoril/Black fully loaded 63k FSH
1995 Porsche 993 Cabriolet Midnight Blue/Cream/110k/FMDSH/GT3 Alloys/Mint

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:48 am

No worries drummerboy. Actually my cars at the indies today as I am complaining of a rumble through what feels like the tyres. I even said to the mechanic I know I'm being a fussy woman but he made me smile as he's just said he can feel it as well through the wheels so is going to put it on the ramp today.

I run diamaris on back and toyos on front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:49 pm

I have never been a fan of running different tyres front and back, but that is just my opinion.

The thought of using different spec tyres that behave different in more extreme weather conditions freightens me a bit.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:27 pm

[quote=""pvr""]I have never been a fan of running different tyres front and back, but that is just my opinion.

The thought of using different spec tyres that behave different in more extreme weather conditions freightens me a bit.[/quote]

Scaredy cat scaredy cat :-P
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK