Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Wiper doesn't clear screen

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
nickt68

Rear Wiper doesn't clear screen

Post by nickt68 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Would be grateful for any advice - my rear wiper only wipes part of the rear screen and has been getting progessively worse over the last year. It seems as if the wiper blade is not making contact with the screen through most of its arc. Found a post on another site detailing the same problem and said that it was caused by muck etc in the "pivot point" which could be cleaned out. Not sure what the pivot point is though - maybe the hinge on the arm or the spindle going through to the motor?

If anyone has had a similar problem and fixed it would appreciate some advice please - I've already tried a new blade but no good!

philip600

Re: Rear Wiper doesn't clear screen

Post by philip600 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi, Mine was like this as well.
Try cleaning the bit that hinges to allow the blade to be swung away from the screen & spray a little WD40 on it. Also make sure the spring inside the wiper bade arm is clean & not corroded.
I then had to carefully bend the blade at the end to ensure it stayed in contact with the screen over it's full sweep.
It took a bit of fiddling but It's been no problem since.

Hope this helps ?
Phil.
2005 3.0d Le Mans auto - Now gone :-( but replaced with an Audi A4 Avant Quattro Black Edition 177PS :-)
1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet - NOW SOLD.
1996 Lotus Esprit S4s in Mica Yellow.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 pm

I have to do this. After lifting it from the rear screen when washing I've found it is not touching in the centre...

I'm gona have to try that. Thanks philip600! :thumbsup:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:52 am

Yeah, over time the wiper cage can seize up due to crud collecting in the pivot joints, same for the spring on the wiper arm itself. I took the wiper off the arm and cleaned it in a bucket of water, dried it and then worked in some WD40 by wiggling the joints back and forth. I then just used a drop of 3 in 1 on the joints to keep it in good working order. I removed the Arm from the Spindle and cleaned up the spring with a wire brush and then wire wool and then covered in Vaseline. Put it all back together and works a treat.

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

nickt68

Post by nickt68 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks Phil and Turks, will have a go over the weekend and hopefully will be able to see out of the back window again by Monday :)