Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 angel eyes upgrade?????

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
rconwa11

Post by rconwa11 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:36 pm

ok guys now is the time for everyone to have a good old laugh at me.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

i red a post about DIY angel eyes,. so as not to ruin my current headlights i have purchase second hand units to practice with and potentially be the final item that goes on the car.

in the DIY guide it says to put the headlight unit into the oven to heat up the bonding agent between the glass lense and the light unit itself..

so in it went correct temp and for less than half the described time . out comes a melted light unit and glass lense.... :headbang: :headbang: :thumbsdown: :headbang:

has anyone sucsessfully done this mod to their X i could not for love nor money separate the 2 parts from each other even after melting the light unit they remained together....

PS. i have a nearside light unit if anyone wishes to purchase..... slight dmg from heat glass perfect!!!! :D :D :D :D

regards

richard

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: X5 angel eyes upgrade?????

Post by Sanj » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:40 pm

I don't know exactly what year of manufacture these need to be to get the seal to melt - lezmtaylor does. He's done it.

PM him - sorry to hear things went pear-shaped.... :(
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

rconwa11

Post by rconwa11 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:44 pm

just fortunate that they units i used were not the ones off the car otherwise i would really have been upset. what kinda headlights have u got..

i wanted to purchase angel eye headlights from ebay but i also want hid and apparently the ones i looked at were not compattable together, apparently the balast from the hid plays havoc with the angel eye.

i remeber reading about depo headlights on x5drivers once has anyone got these units and where did they get them from ??

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Hence my vagueness fella - I have the facelift with the anels eyes and the xenons... :oops:

Lez really is the man to talk to...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

MaximumJed

Post by MaximumJed » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:36 am

[quote=""rconwa11""]i remeber reading about depo headlights on x5drivers once has anyone got these units and where did they get them from ??[/quote]

I like the look of the Depo lights, just don't want to pay $200 of shipping and I haven't found out if they work with my current HIDs, or if they are switchable for left/right hand drive and have correct beam patterns etc.
2002 E53 4.6iS, Black with Black interior, TV, Nav
Soon to get X-Pipe
Would like to get Paddle Shift, Glass Screen, Remap

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Think it was sept 02, not sure, will check my lights.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:27 pm

I have done plenty of E46 facelift angel eye upgrades. These too have to be split be heating the bonding resin. If they are the same on the E53 then there should be no need to put them in the oven. You can use a heat gun or hairdryer and prise them apart. Where abouts are you (if in the UK)?

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:00 am

Hi all, it was myself who fitted the depo angel eyes to the x5 originally and then from there a few guys off here also ordered the same style lights etc. The best place to purchase them is from German eBay. They work out at £187 delivered which is excellent. I hVe also added h7 hid kit to the lights and the glass for the lense is true hid lense, so beam cut off is incredibly sharp and straight edge like true factory xenon compared to the scattered beam when the xenons were fitted to my factory halogen head lamps. Will dig out a link for you in a bit and also a few pictures!!! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minda

Post by Minda » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:56 am

There you go :thumbsup:
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

rconwa11

Post by rconwa11 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:37 am

i am in glasgow area in the uk... pics are excellent and think this is the route i will take with depo lights.. lost me a little when talking about the hid lights

i dont have xenons as standard mine are just bog standard light units. which route would i take with regards to the depo and then the hid ?

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:36 pm

my car didnt have xenons as standard. all you need to do is buy these lights, then purchase a h7 hid kit off ebay wirh bulb warning cancellor packs included to prevent alarms for blown bulbs via car computer. the kits are simple to install and even easier if you fit the bulbs before fitting the lights!! buy a colour temp of 4800k or max 6000k as they are the more oem colours!! great at night and look brilliant

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:31 am

BL02WAS... great looking lights there mate, really update the pre-facelift!

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:09 pm

thanks turks, yes went for these as they look like the closest match to oem i could find!! halos are nice and big and they dont look tacky!! :)

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:39 pm

bump