Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Changing break protection plate/dust shields.

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
gmc15

Changing break protection plate/dust shields.

Post by gmc15 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:23 pm

I recently changed the rear discs, pads and hand brake shoes on my E53 3.0d. I noticed that the protection plates were quite thin and rusty and the shaped hole that the break shoe retaining pin was worn.
Has anyone on here replaced the plates and is it a straight forward job to do? The plate is only held in with 4 bolts, but I am not sure if I take the discs and hand brake shoes off that I can just unscrew these bolts and remove the plate.
I have searched the forum, and with the 3 series, the wheel bearing needs to be removed. I don't know if that is the case with the X5 or not. If it needs the bearing to be removed then it is a job for my Indy :)

Graeme.
x6 M50d

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Changing break protection plate/dust shields.

Post by x555 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:23 am

Hi Graeme i should know this after replacing the cv boots :oops: but i didn't take them off so not sure!
this is the write up that i reffered to for changing my boots and by the looks of it it's a hub off job have a look and see what you think.....
http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/sus ... 5-e53.html
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK