Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front right wheel rotor unstable

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
divelab

Front right wheel rotor unstable

Post by divelab » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:46 pm

I recently changed my summer tires to snow tires and noticed after tightening the front right wheel to the rotor... there was a slight 'shakiness' to it.
Meaning the wheel was solidly fixed/screwed to the rotor, but it felt like the rotor itself was the piece that was unstable. I checked on all the other wheels and they were all soundly fixed onto their rotors and no shaking was experienced.

Together with a slight scratching noise I have been hearing for the last 4 months... am hoping someone out there can quickly identify the fault. Is this something that usually happens after 130,000 Kilometers?

I thought it could be a ball bearing issue... but not sure. Planning on visiting the garage before xmas in anycase.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Silver Sport E53 X5 2003 3.0 DAT

jason@bwchiptune

Re: Front right wheel rotor unstable

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:51 pm

get someone to look at it now!!!!

could be the wheel bearing breaking up!!! you have be warned!!!
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk

divelab

Post by divelab » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:01 pm

That serious? Will defintely investigate it further and asap.

Is it typical for wheel bearing problems to impact the shakiness of a rotor -when the car is jacked up and you feel a slight looseness/wobbling of the wheel after it is tightened onto the rotor? I thought the noise I was hearing was down to the bearing issue, but didn't realise it was also now linked to this wheel problem.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Very definitely as the wheel hub is connecting to the outer part of the wheel bearing and the car to the inner part. In the good old days you used to set the wheel bearing adjustments by tightening the hub nut all the way up whilst rotating the wheel and then back it off one flat and put a split pin in. That gave just a tiny bit of movement if you held the wheel top and bottom and 'rocked' it. At least that's the way the old Police mechanics I used to work with taught me in the 1980's. No idea if that's how it's still done, but it may be. Any excess movement and/or noise was immediately investigated to see if the bearing had gone dry and was failing. Definitely something to be looked sooner rather than later. Any marks/pitting/blueing on either the bearing track or rollers was cause to change the bearing.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

divelab

Post by divelab » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:38 pm

Many thanks Jason + X5Sport

Will call Garage for an appointment this week