Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Crazy passenger door mirror!

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
finnie

Crazy passenger door mirror!

Post by finnie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:46 am

I am offshore right now so cant do much right now but I thought I would ask anyway.

I only had the car a fortnight before i came back to work but I noticed that my passenger door mirror in dip when in reverse was playing up. I don't only reverse turning eft so dont always use that mirror when reversing but I first started to notice that when going forward again that my mirror wasn't resetting to it's original position. I thought it may be that it just needs time in Neutral to reset before driving off so one day waiting in the car I tested it. On that occasion it went nuts. When I put the car in reverse it wouldn't settle in one position and then once in drive again it went all over the place and then settled back in my ideal reversing position! Typical! Switch back to the left and just left it in non dip mode.

Any theories on how to fix this?

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Crazy passenger door mirror!

Post by x555 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:21 am

Sounds like it could be the micro switch out of position have a look here for info....
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=88
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:01 am

You mean this one x555

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=198&p=2126&hilit=Prise#p2126

It's sticking motor mounts when using the dipping option in reverse buddy, not the folding mirrors issue.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Finnie

Sanj is right, I finally got round to doing mine yesterday.

It struggled to dip down and juddered sometimes, and then would not always come back to starting point.

Took off the glass and folded back the rubber covers on the gearing mechanism and sprayed with silicone lubricant. Is now working like a dream.

Sanj, another quick one for you - the mirror heating on the same side is not working (N/S), so I presume it is just a direct glass replacement. Is there any way to check to elements in the heater? Does it matter the orientation of the wiring - doesn't look like it matters but just asking.

Cheers

Tony
Current:
57 Reg 3.0D SE Monaco Blue

Previous:
06 Reg 3.0D Le Mans with Pano Roof
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:27 am

[quote=""slieverue""]Sanj, another quick one for you - the mirror heating on the same side is not working (N/S), so I presume it is just a direct glass replacement. Is there any way to check to elements in the heater? Does it matter the orientation of the wiring - doesn't look like it matters but just asking.

Cheers

Tony[/quote]

Wires is not an issue, they are both black and same size connectors. But not sure if just replacing the mirror will fix it, have you had a volt meter through the connectors? Need to ascertain you have the power there first, then yes it could be the glass - expensive glass though!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:42 am

Yes I did and couldn't get a voltage reading. I'm guessing I should be getting 5 or 12VDC?

I checked the fuses, but none were gone - but my thinking is that the same fuse would be for both mirrors and the drivers side is fine.

What I might do tonight then, is plug the passenger glass into the drivers side just to check the heating elements, but don't really know what to do about the wiring on the N/S if there is no voltage - whatcha think Sanj?

Thanks

Tony

PS replacement glass is about £50
Current:

Previous:
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Yeah, you're thought process is spot on - get that other one on here and check. I hope it is just a mirror issue because I would be stumped too if it goes beyond this!

If it does, check the rest of the wiring behind the door card - no obvious signs of wear and tear or even disconnected in teh connector!?!

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:02 pm

No - the connector looks fine, but I'll double check it.

Regarding the voltage - you don't know what kind of voltage i should be seeing. It was mostly 0V, but it flickered to 0.5V every now and then. It shouldn't draw much power so it's probably a kind of trcikle charge?

I guess I'll know more once I check the mirror on the working side - will let you know.

Thanks

Tony
Current:

Previous:
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]You mean this one x555

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=198&p=2126&hilit=Prise#p2126

It's sticking motor mounts when using the dipping option in reverse buddy, not the folding mirrors issue.[/quote]

Bloody know it all :P :poke: ... didn't even know about that thread mate.I'm gonna have to investigate mine at some stage as the passenger mirror has never dipped on mine when reverse is selected.i can't remember if it did or not before i retro fitted the auto fold ones :roll: i don't think it did anyway.Not a big issue mind as something i don't really use but all the same it should be working :)
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

finnie

Post by finnie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks guys,

I'll be getting that apart on my first day home! Hope it works!

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:50 pm

[quote=""x555""]Bloody know it all :P :poke: ... didn't even know about that thread mate.[/quote]

LOL! Ironically your thread pointed to the folding mirrors which had a link pointing to the sticky passenger mirror! :lol:

20 min job buddy - as and when you get the time :roll:

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:20 am

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but don't want to start another one either.

Quick question: Are the wing mirror heaters automatic or are they linked into the rear windscreen button? I can't seem to find a button that switches them on independantly.

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:17 am

Hi Pete

As far as I have seen so far - they come on automatically when you turn on the engine and I think they remain on while the engine is turned on. We had the first frost of the year this morning and the mirrors cleared without me turning anything else on.

I had an A6 (not a good car!) previously and the heated wing mirrors were linked the rear window demister - so you're right to ask the question.

Sanj, didn't get a chance to swap over mirrors last night, but it seemed to work okay this morning. Will keep an eye on it and let you know the outcome.

Cheers

PS I am also sorry for hijacking the thread!! :oops:
Current:

Previous:
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:56 pm

I have switched the reverse dip option off, as I found it dipped too far and all I could see was road and no reference point to the car.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube