Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2002 3.0d sport - Transmission loss

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
h9kgh

2002 3.0d sport - Transmission loss

Post by h9kgh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Another newbie here, was recommended by a fellow forum member.
Looking for some help on the above, my wife was out in her 5 on Friday, came home and said she "thought" the gears were "sluggish/hesitant in going up through the box".
I took it out, drove it about 15 miles it was fine, was almost back home when up popped "Trans Failsafe Mode",i managed to struggle home, stopped at the bottom of my drive, popped her into park, then nothing couldn`t get any gears in drive, reverse, manual etc. Switched off/ then on again, then managed to get forward.
Went out on Saturday, no warning messages appear now but forward/reverse only last for a couple of minutes, then nothing, justs revs as high as you let it.
Until now there has been no sign of sluggish or slipping gear changes, no noises etc, no loss of reverse, vehicle has done 92,000 miles with full history, and has not long had an inspection 1 service completed by BMW.
Went back to it on Sunday, completely looses transmission now after 60 seconds, at one point i did notice a very loud clicking noise when no transmission, sounded like it was coming from the underside of the tranny.
Managed to get my hands on a diagnostics machine, "Transmission Codes" as;
55 Gear Monitering 5
53 Gear Monitering 3
notes;
Battery Volts 11.9
Soleniod Valve 1 - Inactive
Soleniod Valve 2 - Active
Soleniod Valve 3 - Inactive (Active for the short spell i get transmission)
Clutch Convertor - Inactive? (no matter what we did this remains inactive)
"Instrumentation Codes"
31 - EBV
08 - Tank Level Sensor 1
09 - Tank Level Sensor 2
21 - Int. Error Instrument Panel
11 - TCM Signal Error or Limp Mode
"Engine Codes" (notes)
p1613 engine stabillity controller
MAP Pressure 1009
MAP Pressure required 1070
"ABS Codes"
90 - Intermitent system down
I have since checked my battery, when vehicle running (charging) its @ 14.2volts, then when vehicle is switched off it drops to 13.02volts.
Apologies for such a long first thread, but in this case perhaps less is not more.
Look forward to any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

thedweeb

Re: 2002 3.0d sport - Transmission loss

Post by thedweeb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:21 pm

Welcome to the forum.Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 mins? just grasping at straws really but worth a go.
Black with Cream Pre-Facelift 3.0d sport.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:42 am

Welcome,

Would love to be able to interpret all that data, however, in all trruth it means very little to me.

Trawl my old posts for links to a garage guiode to find good bmw independents then phone some to find if any of them rebuild trsanmissions or, ( far more likely), know of cost effective transmission rebuilders or sellers of "so called" recon units.

Wish I could help more
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

h9kgh

Post by h9kgh » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:51 am

Thanks for the welcome,
thedweeb;
On Saturday i left the battery completely disconnected for about 2 hours, sadly nothing
AW8;
Sadly the data means nothing to me, just though the more information i put up the better, find it hard to believe that there was no warning signs before complete failure, on reading lots of posts on tranny problems ,most have warning signs.
Thanks meantime, will keep you posted.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:23 am

Welcome to the forum fella,

Sorry to hear about what's going on with the X - does seem to be the gearbox is gone...

From previous posts on the old forum I kept a couple of links, these might help:

http://www.drivertransmissions.co.uk/

http://www.automatic-gearbox.co.uk/

Let us know how you get on though. Always good to have the feedback. Goodluck! :thumbsup:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

lizzie

Post by lizzie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:02 am

Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join, hope the guys can help you out :)
Liz