Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Zenons to low

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
pvw10

Zenons to low

Post by pvw10 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:28 am

Hi all,
have just got a second e53 Sport Diesel and have noticed the Zenon beams are pointing very low. The auto levelling works when switched on and both the front and rear sensors fastened to the suspension are there and undamaged.
On the headlight units there are Allen key adjusters for both left and right and up and down adustment, question is if i use the up and down adjusters to raise the beams to the correct height is this ok ? I assume these adjusters are there to set a "base setting" if replaced or something.

Thanks in adavance,

Paul
3.0d Sport. Xenons,Tv/sat,Blinds,DVD Headrests,sidesteps,mudflaps,DSP,Walnut trim,softer leather,heated seats,remap,automatic,Oval exhaust upgrade, death ray and rockets.
Previous car; E46 M3 Convertible SMG.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Zenons to low

Post by AW8 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:48 am

Yes assuming you know what " the correct height " is & how to get it.

The outer allen adjuster is to align left/right & inner is for up/down.

I parked mine a specific distance from a wall I carefully marked out & attempted to adjust beam .............absolute and total waste of time IMO !

If not done properly you could end up dazzling others quite easily - I also drive a Z3 so I tend to notice badly adjusted 4x4 lights more than some.

Beam pattern on xenons makes d.i.y. & legal spec alignment a near impossibility, (for me at least), it's far easier to get job done properly using a garage headlamp alignment machine.

5-10 min job for a small cash payment ;)

Tbh, if set up legally the dip beam doesn't amaze - even with xenons. do consider the beams on your old car could have been a little high.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

pvw10

Post by pvw10 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi thanks for this.
I have two X5's so can compare. The latest one just passed its MOT but the lights are just to low, i have marked the wall with the other cars lights i just asked if its ok to move that adjustor then let the self levelling manage it, do you rekon ok ?
3.0d Sport. Xenons,Tv/sat,Blinds,DVD Headrests,sidesteps,mudflaps,DSP,Walnut trim,softer leather,heated seats,remap,automatic,Oval exhaust upgrade, death ray and rockets.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Yes, albeit I think the self leveling will be relative to height you set them at via the allen bolts.

Count how many turns or quarter turns you make on allen bolts so if all else fails you end up with car as was before fiddling.

Dont forget outer bolts bend and inners raise/lower.

pvw10

Post by pvw10 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Top man and most helpful, glad this sites back up as others...................pants :O)

Junkie

Post by Junkie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:07 pm

[quote=""AW8""] I also drive a Z3 .[/quote]

My Mrs is after a hairdo, can you tell me if you do home visits or should she turn up at the salon? :P

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:59 pm

:rofl: The old ones are the best.

It's actually my wifes car albeit one which has more than held it's own when driven alongside far more expensive & more powerful machinery.

If you saw me I'd probaly be the last person folk you would ask upon for hair advice, however, your wife is welcome to pop around for a free consultation ;)

Perhaps ironic that, (due to low wages), many non management hairdressers may struggle to afford to run a car alongside other outgoings.

pvw10

Post by pvw10 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

[quote=""AW8""]Dont forget outer bolts bend and inners raise/lower.[/quote]

Looks like anti clockwise to raise, can you confirm correct ?
Many thanks,
Paul

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Sorry I cant recall - Simple to find out just face against a wall & perform a turn & then back again whilst watching beam pattern on the wall.

pvw10

Post by pvw10 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:35 pm

Yeah thanks, worth a question but thanks. I wound out carefully in the daylight and you can see the movement as you undo the key, i was just wondering.

pvw10

Post by pvw10 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Deffo anti clockwise to raise in case others need to know.