Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alarm fault

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
millerman1ac

Alarm fault

Post by millerman1ac » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:50 am

Had my alarm go off the other night sitting outside the house first time i've had this!
went out in a hurry thinking someone maybe at it!! No one there so turned it off and checked all the doors, boot etc
reset it and went back in, 1 o'clock in the morning alarm goes off again wakes me up, i check car again all ok so just leave it unlocked all night as im in a quiet area....
in the morning it's still there so all good, take it into work to check it out and alarm goes off again just sitting there so i went through a process off elimination and work it is the switch for the bonnet. Try giving it a wee blast of WD40 but didn't help..

So i just unclip the connector and it works alarm stops going off!!
has anyone else had this problem?
Im thinking it's just maybe the cold damp weather getting into the switch?

i'm hoping to get to BMW dealer today to see if i can pick up a new switch, wonder what they cost!!??
2004 4.4 Sport Black with Black

1998 Suzuki TL1000R, power commander, ART cans, K & N, TRE

BL02WAS

Alarm fault

Post by BL02WAS » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:13 pm

there was a topic on this recently, search the threads, they are cheap, was either £7 or £14 but no more than that. and yes these switches are renowned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITBarbie

Alarm fault

Post by ITBarbie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi

Sorry bit off thread but I saw this the other day and have never tried it and often wondered if it worked as far as the alarm is concerned.

33. If you want to leave your windows down but have the alarm set, but not have to worry about the motion detector go off, you can arm you alarm by hitting the lock button, and then wait a second and hit the button again. You'll see the clown nose light up for a second, which means the motion detector is deactivated

I know it sounds like your sensor but this may help people if indeed it works !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Alarm fault

Post by x555 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:05 pm

[quote=""millerman1ac""]Had my alarm go off the other night sitting outside the house first time i've had this!
went out in a hurry thinking someone maybe at it!! No one there so turned it off and checked all the doors, boot etc
reset it and went back in, 1 o'clock in the morning alarm goes off again wakes me up, i check car again all ok so just leave it unlocked all night as im in a quiet area....
in the morning it's still there so all good, take it into work to check it out and alarm goes off again just sitting there so i went through a process off elimination and work it is the switch for the bonnet. Try giving it a wee blast of WD40 but didn't help..

So i just unclip the connector and it works alarm stops going off!!
has anyone else had this problem?
Im thinking it's just maybe the cold damp weather getting into the switch?

i'm hoping to get to BMW dealer today to see if i can pick up a new switch, wonder what they cost!!??[/quote]

I had this a while back with the alarm going off at random and it was the switch under the bonnet and iirc it was onley about £12 from the main stealer.I did have a long winded thread on this on the old forum ....ask pvr ;)
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:23 pm

[quote=""ITBarbie""]Hi

Sorry bit off thread but I saw this the other day and have never tried it and often wondered if it worked as far as the alarm is concerned.

33. If you want to leave your windows down but have the alarm set, but not have to worry about the motion detector go off, you can arm you alarm by hitting the lock button, and then wait a second and hit the button again. You'll see the clown nose light up for a second, which means the motion detector is deactivated

I know it sounds like your sensor but this may help people if indeed it works !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

yes this does work Penny :thumbsup: pressing the lock button twice deactivates the motion sensors that's how i new mine was the bonnet sensor as the alarm wen't off when it was deactivated.
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Had this random alarm fault in my old X- it was the bonnet sensor, I just put a felt pad directly above it on the inside of the bonnet and it cured it :)
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

millerman1ac

Post by millerman1ac » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:16 pm

[quote=""CondorX5""]Had this random alarm fault in my old X- it was the bonnet sensor, I just put a felt pad directly above it on the inside of the bonnet and it cured it :)[/quote]

cool might try this b4 i buy :D

still not gone off since i disconnected it...
2004 4.4 Sport Black with Black

1998 Suzuki TL1000R, power commander, ART cans, K & N, TRE

petert

Post by petert » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:04 pm

Motion sensor defeat method good for ferries to prevent your car alarm going off the whole crossing!

Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.