Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clunking under tray

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
d8ean

Clunking under tray

Post by d8ean » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:12 am

ladies and gents,

car went into MD yesterday for a oil service at 70k i mentioned to them about a clunking from underneath the front - now i know the under tray is damaged and it was tightend up by my indi - im guessing the last MD had left it loose from a service, hence the damage.

anyhow they said the undertray was cracked but they have put some extra bolts/screws in there (some were missing) and its now secure - problem is im still getting a clunking sound, mainly when i go over small bumps in the road that throw the car from side to side (i drive to work everyday on the same route)

its got to a point where i can kinda feel the noise coming through the gas pedal - rattling away, i don't get the noise if the car is stationary and i shake the wheel from side to side, it only happens when im going along

it kinda feels the the front wheels are loose / ready to pop off - i know the above all sounds weird but has anyone else experienced anyhting similar?

my front pads have 2mm left so im hoping when it goes in for new pads i can get the rattle / clunking sorted as it really spoils the ride of the car

please help, its really beginning to pi$$ me off

ITBarbie

Clunking under tray

Post by ITBarbie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:29 am

Hi

Its so difficult to diagnose with things like these over the forum. All I can say is recently I noticed a barely audible clunk from the front but it was felt through the gas peddle. For me it turned out to be the drop link.

Good luck but definitely get it rechecked :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

d8ean

Re: Clunking under tray

Post by d8ean » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 am

thanks for that.
what is a drop link - good to get answers so im ready for when i take it to the indy

BL02WAS

Clunking under tray

Post by BL02WAS » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:10 pm

an indy round my way said something to me about the engine needing to be running whilst refitting yhe undertray as it pulls a vacuum on something and solves the clunking!! give wembley services carmarthenshire a ring to clarify this with them. ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Clunking under tray

Post by AW8 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Drop link is small link bar with perishable rubber at either end - it basically attaches anti roll bar to suspension.

These are big heavy cars & suspension components, bushes & joints need keping an eye on or ear out for. Often only significant wear is visible to the cursory eye & as such mechanics elevate & thoroughly inspect applying pressure to suspected areas if required.

Regardless of speculation re noises - personally I would replace the broken undertray if its noticeably rattling or significantly damaged though I accept many folk tolerate what is normally out of sight.....................I've had mine off & put it back. I noticed some of the nuts & fittings were corroded slightly. Undertray refitting would be easier with 2 pairs of hands under hydraulic workshop ramp but can eventually be done by one person crawling on floor & cursing !

If replacing same or causing it to be done I would probably carefully source a salvage item. I would buy plenty of new & correct size bolts & fittings. I seem to recall there's more than one size bolt & specific locations for certain sizes. Some garages notorious for being brutal & lazy with underside trim & fastenings the customer seldom if ever sees.

As for any comments to MD or indy. In abscence of seeing issue for myself I would simply just ask for all suspension including ARB's to be checked for condition.

Ideally you should be able to trust your indy for non dealer stamp stuff.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.