Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Spend Money on it or buy a Range Rover?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
nickt68

Spend Money on it or buy a Range Rover?

Post by nickt68 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Hope that this isn't sacrilege to ask on here....!

I've got an 02 4.4 Sport with 88k miles and FSH (BMW) Silver/Black Leather, heated seats and upgraded to DVD sat nav. It has one green light still showing (but soon to go) before an Insp 1 is due. It is also groaning from the rear which I think could be bushes or similar and I've noticed similar sounds from the front so think that there are jobs to be done!

I've owned it for just over a year (& 12k miles) and have really enjoyed it but also really like the L322 Range Rovers. So I'm not sure if I should try and sell now while the mileage is still in the 80's and buy a Range Rover or spend some money and keep it for a while.

Haven't found the xdrivers.co.uk of the Land Rover world but have found a few bits regarding potential problems with RR's, but then have read about problems with X5's too! Not really sure what my current car is worth but thinking of 15-20k as budget for a replacement.

Would be grateful for any thoughts on my quandry and any ideas on what the X5 might cost me in the near future (Insp 1, creaking suspension etc), what it might be worth now and what the Range Rovers are like?

IanP

Re: Spend Money on it or buy a Range Rover?

Post by IanP » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:50 pm

Not sure if its true, but to do any major work on the engines, the body has to come off. My friend has a Disco which is vaugely the same with problems with the EGR valves and the body is supposed to have to come of to do them. He has had loads of problems with it, which is leading hime to get a new X3 next year.

v8 boy

Post by v8 boy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:04 pm

well the L322 has plenty of BMW bits dotted around it, it had a few foibles to begin with including eating it's diff, the same pixel problem (as the LCD units were shared) as BMW, it does have very complex electronics which are a worry but on the whole it's a very capable vehicle that can go off-road.
As to whether i'd choose one over an X5 well....the jurys out!

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Some links you may find of interest

Info

forum

L322 info

L322 known issues

One of the most contraversial L322 reliabaility issues has been the front diff - There has since been a recall for this which gives piece of mind.

I have on occasions considered moving to L322 but earlier cars. Earlier L322 diesels have the BMW X5 3.0d lump. Early V8 has prefacelift BMW 4.4i engine though with extra weight it's thirstier than a 286 HP V8 X5. Whilst not knowedgable or over keen on LPG cars installed with a good LPG L322 can make financial sense.

Newer cars of course have Jag engines & more advanced terrain control system. Trouble is trhe newer you buy the more the car will depreciate relative to cost. With newer developments on the horizon to cater for those wanting luxury and greener credentials these big cars are unlikely to fare well come resale a few years down the line.

L322's are lovely luxurious vehicles though potentially as expensive, (or more so), as E53 X5 to keep running well.

Your car maybe worth less than you think. Mine took a hit of £500 in one month a short while ago according to glasses. Look on autotrader, Pistonheads, ebay etc to get some idea though if plenty around seemingly not selling you shouldn't assume asking prices reflect realistic used value or sale prices achieved. You can use same sites to look at L322 asking prices.

As for what your likely to end up paying to keep the X5 running well depends on some luck but costs vary dependant on your legwork & how fussy you are.
On my X5 4.4i I recently paid £235 all in for dealer Insp 1, (inc cost of me supplying my own correct spec BMW oil), negotiating parts & labour. I have 97k miles & FBMWSH. I've owned for about 40k miles & over 4 yrs. Before owning my car had a dash cluster, balljoint plus folding mirror work & a tailgate catch....Since I've owned it's had the other folding mirror sorted, other tailgate work, rear & thrust bushes, both rocker gaskets, PAS hose, PCV hoses, outer front CV gaitors, 2 window regulators an O2 sensor, FSR & 2 chromatic door mirror glasses. Normal consumeables include battery, tyres, discs, pads bulbs & blades. Doing minor work &/or using indy for some has kept costs lower for non stamp stuff albeit car still has FBMWSH. Issues on mine are typical to a V8 X5 over a significant period & mileage - expect similar & be mindful that water pump, stat, belts, gearbox & alternator could need attention if in it for longer duration.

L322 uses many similar bits...I believe all L322's have the twin axle driver adjustable set up which can have odd moments.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

robo

Post by robo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 pm

i have recently purchased an x5 2004 3.0d favelift, i was torn between this and an l322 range rover having drove a few of each i felt the bm was a nicer drive in diesel also the trim quality was much better in the bmw im not knocking the range its a great car but it does seem that if you get a bad one they can be money pits,before my present purchase i have had 2 p38 range rovers a petrol manual 9[avoid at all costs] and a mint diesel that just didnt inspire confidence,every time i went out something else seemed to go wrong ,it was so awful to drive very slow and noisy, drove a nice l322 but no where near as quick as my x5,best of luck which ever way you go.

nickt68

Post by nickt68 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. My X5 has (touch wood) been pretty reliable so far and have only had pads replaced and brake fluid. If it stays I think I would probably get the Insp1 done by BMW to keep up the stamps but would probably get other bits done by indy.

Not sure in what the value is at the moment as mentioned but wondering if £8 - 9k might be about right?

If I go to the RR I'm wondering if the V8 may make sense again - before I bought the X5 I read a number of forum posts (incl AW8's guide) and it seemed that the lower purchase cost of the V8 (like for like with the diesel) almost evened out the higher petrol costs (and the noise, power and performance of the V8 was just a huge bonus :D ). I think that the same may be true with the RR as the TD6 does not seem to have dramatically better mpg than the petrol?

robo

Post by robo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 pm

have drove both ,go for the petrol so much better,can always put it on gas if needed,adds value get a good system prins etc make sure full history and gearbox is perfect and obviously all elecrics work,good luck