Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

problem with hazards AND internal door lock

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

problem with hazards AND internal door lock

Post by storminmike » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Suffice to say these cars drive you mad but I can't get the hazards to function or the internal button to lock the doors

Indicators work perfect, doors lock and unlock with key but both internal buttons seem DEAD. When the lights are on the buttons glow so some (if not all the required) power must be there.

I tried looking at a few fuses but none were obviously marked hazard and those that I did pull seemed intact visually.

This seems like either a fuse or the switches are kaputt. Positives are that the wife's X5 has a switch I could raid if needed to try but for the life of me I can't see how to pull the switches

The switch is no 5 here

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=61&fg=35

any ideas?

SOLVED >:(

It seems a previous owner had been inside the switch!! I managed to pull it out and the hazards kicked in. I looked where the wires went in and it appears the bottom half clips in as that is how the switch is built. I looks like someone had pried it open in the past and damaged some of the little lugs that hold it all together. Compressing it back in and hey presto everything works, not strong enough to resist the twisting of wires as it failed when pushed back into the console. Out with the glue and it seems to hold...well for now

seem to go for not much so I might just swap it
Last edited by storminmike on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.