Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0d (M57TU) exhaust manifold replacement

How-To articles ONLY go here.
wpoll

3.0d (M57TU) exhaust manifold replacement

Post by wpoll » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:49 am

Just completed the replacement of the exhaust manifold on my 2005 E53 3.0d. Used the excellent X8R manifold.

Managed to do it without (completely) removing the turbo or the valve cover - but it took patience!

I've put a mini-write-up and pictures online over at Xoutpost, if anyone is interested...

https://xoutpost.com/1142332-post39.html

This is a single post that is part of a longer thread...

marti

Re: 3.0d (M57TU) exhaust manifold replacement

Post by marti » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:41 am

Had to change mine on my 2004 x53 due to having 7 cracks in the stainless steel one fitted....went for a proper cast iron one....cant beat the old school stuff :)

Edward R-W

Post by Edward R-W » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:25 pm

How has the x8r manifold held up for you? I have started to get the symptoms of a cracked manifold and I'm looking for a replacement. I read this post and looked up the x8r manifold and at £65 with a complete fitting kit seems too good to be true? How long did it take you change? Is it something I could do at home on the driveway or am I better off paying a mechanic to do this?
Edd
2004 3.0d 218bhp E53 X5, Black, Cream Leather Interior.

wpoll

Post by wpoll » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:10 am

[quote="Edward R-W"]
How has the x8r manifold held up for you? I have started to get the symptoms of a cracked manifold and I'm looking for a replacement. I read this post and looked up the x8r manifold and at £65 with a complete fitting kit seems too good to be true? How long did it take you change? Is it something I could do at home on the driveway or am I better off paying a mechanic to do this?
[/quote]

I can't talk to the lifespan of the X8R product, having only had it in the car for a few weeks but I can't see it being an issue - it's a solid casting!

I don't know if you looked over my write-up on Xoutpost (linked above) but it should give you an idea of the work involved. It took me about 2-3 hours to change the manifold itself but it took a lot longer to dismantle the car to the point where I could get at the manifold. I figure I could do the entire job in about 6-8 hours, having done it once before and taking my time. You'll need a really good set of tools, including a full range of extensions, universals and deep sockets.

I'm not sure I'd want to do this in my driveway - but I have a good garage and live in a location with unpredictable weather! If you can pick a good day and have the tools and the skills, it's a pretty easy driveway DIY, just very involved due to the million and twelve items you'll need to remove on the way in. Plan on changing your air filter, your engine breather and your turbo outlet gaskets while you're in there.