Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting a Westfalia Detachable Towbar & Dedicated Electric

How-To articles ONLY go here.
DevonX5

Re: Fitting a Westfalia Detachable Towbar & Dedicated Electr

Post by DevonX5 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:58 pm

[quote=""UrbanFlow""][quote=""DevonX5""]Just got my towbar kit through the post and am using this as my guide to fit. Excellent "how to". Many thanks indeed. If only all "how to's" were the same :thumbsup:[/quote]

Thanks for the comments. Was your fit successful?[/quote]

Fit was fantastic - only thing was my ipad got dirt on the screen :rofl: i loaded up the pad with your instructions on and put it on the boot door. Worked a treat. Found those bloody ali heat shield nuts a pain to get off as you did but got them off after some mole grips.

Only thing that threw me for a bit was the electric plug socket. It came with a 10 pin version but at the bottom of the box was a small westfalia adaptor which plugged into the socket and converted it into a 7 pin for my boat trailer lights.

To be honest your instructions were so good I didnt even open the westfalia instructions :thumbsup:

Thanks very much - highly recommended for anybody doing this fit themselves.

jonnyivy

Post by jonnyivy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Just finished doing mine,.... I cheated by fitting the cheaper 'Witter' detachable towbar from the same PJ Jones. Most of the 'how to's ' were the same except for the crossmember itself being a differant design, but it fitted good .
I'm just going back out in it again , but I did notice when I returned from the initial 'run round the block' that my reversing sensors wern't picking up my van which I reversed right up to ?
Any ways,.... happy days, maybe get the caravan hitched up next weekend if the so called snow stays away !!

Jonny
Virgin owner of X5 3.0 D 2003 ( getting to know her better now )(thinking of a long-term relationship now )( sadly  now divorced !! )( 4 years later...met the newer model and happy again )

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Might be a wiring error, or programming change needed. With the OEM Towbar, the rear PDC is turned off once the caravan/trailer electrics are plugged in.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:26 pm

For those with older 'twin electrics' connections on their 'vans' or trailers, there is also a 'Y' cable available that converts from the 13-pin Euro to the 7N and 7S type wiring.

Also remember that if a tow-bar is fitted, the electrics must now be right and working correctly as it is part of the MOT check (as of Jan 2012).

Great right up by the way.... :thumbsup: With the prices that BMW charge 'after-market', I'm very glad all mine have been factory fits - even if nearly £600.

jonnyivy

Post by jonnyivy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Can't think of a wiring problem as it was the OEM wiring kit I got for the x5 so just 'plug and play' ?
It just gives a short beep when I select reverse then silent, even when putting a hand over the sensors. I havent tried it on the caravan yet though.
I also bought the 'Y' piece you talk about as my caravan has twin sockets and I took someone's advice (on this forum) and fitted the 13 pin socket.
Just as side note ; I've never noticed a chirping sound coming from under the car (around the rear seat area),... could this be something to do with disturbing the leveling dome in the boot ?? Never heard it before , but then again you always hear things after you have been working on car parts and listening for faults!
Jonny
Virgin owner of X5 3.0 D 2003 ( getting to know her better now )(thinking of a long-term relationship now )( sadly  now divorced !! )( 4 years later...met the newer model and happy again )

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Never heard mine chirping from anywhere under the car and I moved the dome several times to get at things like the battery and modify the radio amp wiring. My PDC always worked front and rear unless a trailer was plugged in, then the rears went silent.

jonnyivy

Post by jonnyivy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:57 pm

I admit that when I was laying the dome back down it slipped out of my hand and landed with a clatter. I read that you have to be kinda carefull when handling this thing. The noise I'm hearing is a sort of chirp/tick noise every second. Noticed it at the petrol station when I left it running while I ran in for some milk for the wife. I thought it might be something to do with the self - levelling ??

jonnyivy

Post by jonnyivy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:03 pm

I expected the PDC at the rear to be bypassed when a trailer was connected up,.. but I haven't had anything plugged in yet, just plugged in the OEM socket at the rear end of the boot compartment and then the white control box which is plugged in down the side of the battery box,... also got a small relay supplied by PJ Jones for the caravan charging system.

Jonny

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:20 pm

[quote=""jonnyivy""]I admit that when I was laying the dome back down it slipped out of my hand and landed with a clatter. I read that you have to be kinda carefull when handling this thing. The noise I'm hearing is a sort of chirp/tick noise every second. Noticed it at the petrol station when I left it running while I ran in for some milk for the wife. I thought it might be something to do with the self - levelling ??[/quote]

It contains the air compressor and control kit for the self-levelling suspension, and full air suspension if fitted.

wilkoturbo

Post by wilkoturbo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:54 pm

I can confirm I'm missing power to pins in my 13 pin socket :((((( so the fridge does not work !!Image
bmw x5 le mans blue

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:12 pm

If I'm reading this BMW Fitting Manual off the web correctly (wiring diagram on the last page) then there is no connection on Pins 10,11 and 13. Fridge should be on pins 10 (+ve) and 11 (-ve). Pin 13 should carry the earth for Pin 9. Pin 12 is shown as being connected, but according to the wiring standard for the Euro connector - isn't used!! This doesn't make sense, but that's the way it seems to read.

This is the 2000 Version so there may be a later one, but I haven't turned it up with a search.

wilkoturbo

Post by wilkoturbo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Yep this is the same as mine , and it's a 56 reg
bmw x5 le mans blue

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:57 pm

That being the case, BMW do not seem to have facilitated the connections and not complied with the Euroconnector Scheme Standard. As it's a 13-pin connector and only one pin isn't used, how many cores are provided in the loom from the internal connector out to the external socket? It should normally be 12.

All I can think is that a separate relay controlled (ignition switched) +ve connection with a 20A fuse is linked through plus an earth return cable - though I suspect that is easier said than done with all the bumper etc in place.

From what I have found on (I'm intrigued by this, and concerned as there is no warning in any of the manuals that the wiring may be incomplete - to me that makes it unfit for purpose, this power problem is common across the E70 and E71 as well. Anyone here got a factory towbar onan E70 care to confirm what is and isn't wired up? For some reason the power connections for the van and fridge are simply not included as part of the OEM fit. Several Owners have gone back to their Dealers and told them to wire the sockets correctly. It appears BMW GB couldn't care less - one owner was told that the OEM towbar from the factory doesn't even come with electrics!

barnowl930

Post by barnowl930 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:53 am

Im sure you need to buy Westfalia part number 300025300113 (continuous load line) in addition to the wiring kit to make the fridge and battery charging work.

wilkoturbo

Post by wilkoturbo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:35 am

Is that a BMW part
Number as well ????
bmw x5 le mans blue