Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Testing and Diagnosing the E53 Webasto Thermo Top C/Z

How-To articles ONLY go here.
X5 ALN

Re: Testing and Diagnosing the E53 Webasto Thermo Top C/Z

Post by X5 ALN » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 pm

56 is fine, that is after 04.

kuli1961

Post by kuli1961 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:14 pm

On my e53 3.0 diesel, y.p. 2003, Thermotop Z was installed (no water pump on its body) . OBC has function Aux ventilation only, and NOT Aux heating.
I want to have an option to heat up the cabin, without starting the engine. Someone told me that it is possible by installing Webasto T 91 remote control (module, antenna, wiring, display.,etc), but only if I have Thermo Top C (with pump).
Is it true, or I can have cabin warmed up by remote control, despite the car engine is not running?

Thanks for advice!

Sorry about the language, I am not an English native speaker.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:07 pm

welcome!

which country are you in mate? are you here in uk or in bosnia?

don't worry about the thermotop C and Z part, if you have a webasto that's it. it will have a label with C on one side and Z on another side.. water pump on the E53 is inside the nearside front bumper. its not attached to the webo.

your obc may not show an aux heating option (depending on where you live maybe.. most uk configs don't show it). but it can be enabled with a 'scanner' or in other words by re-programming the option with software.

with or without aux heating displayed in the obc, you can get the webo to work from the remote T 91 (or 3rd party remotes). yes with that you can get the car heated up without the engine running!

this forum has info about hooking up the remote, etc..

have fun!
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

kuli1961

Post by kuli1961 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:28 pm

I am residing in Bosnia. Car was imported from Italy, European version (not USA, diesel there is almost unknown engine type)...
hmm will re-check whether there is a label C on the other side, but doubt..
Yes, have heard that Aux heating can be activated with some software "intervention", however- I am not skilled enough to do it myself, and nobody here is willing to do so. Instead, classic advice is/ go to authorized dealer-service.. but, their intervention (in case that I manage somehow to "bribe" someone there to do so) is so expensive!

If I put T 91, does this mean that car interior (car cabin) will be heated up directly? Or, engine coolant is heated up, only? Does this T 91 (or 3rd party remote) activates fan (ventilator) pushing the hot air into the cabin?
Maybe these questions seems to be stupid, but, sorry, it's hard here to get any reasonable info.
Thx for patience!

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 pm

The T91 (or 3rd party remote) activation does the total job.

it starts up the coolant circulation pump whilst webo heats coolant up. in a couple of minutes it will start up the interior blowers to a pre-set speed and config to blow hot air into the cabin.

label with C on it - don't bother about it. the fact that you have a webo is sufficient. that is because the other variant was meant for boats and couldn't exist in teh car.. unless somebody has replaced yours with the wrong webo  :P but very very unlikely.

kuli1961

Post by kuli1961 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:04 pm

uhhhhh, I feel relieved! THX, a lot!
I seriously doubt that someone took such effort and installed boat W into my e53,,,,if so, how unfortunate I am,    :)

Highly unlikely, indeed!
THX again, already on the road, direction- purchasing T 91!

X5 ALN

Post by X5 ALN » Fri May 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Thermotop C is the Webasto Unit - which has a basic PCB.

The reason it is also labeled with a Z indicates it is for the automotive market, and as such has a PCB that is configured to operate as per the requirements of the vehicle it is in.

more_fasterer

Post by more_fasterer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:31 am

Hi guys, I have a 2005 euro-spec E53 3.0d that has the auxiliary heating layout, and have managed to get it to work as an independent heater - so I thought I would share how I did so.

My car's layout is like the top one that jaynana refers to below - it does NOT have the water shut-off valve (part #12) circled in the bottom picture, nor does it have a water pump directly attached to the Webasto.

[quote="jaynana"]
the realoem  page has 2 plumbing diagrams.

1. cars with 'auxiliary heating water hoses':

2. cars with 'independent heating water valves':

THAT must be the valve.

note the difference, the latter has reference to a valve, and an extra component.
[/quote]

In NCSDummy (which I found to be a great tool to use to make sense of NCSExpert) I found that there were 3 different options for the "Independent Park Heater Concept", and each of these had different options depending on whether you had the "high" or the "low" instrument cluster.  As I have the "high" cluster, I changed mine from "not enabled" to "independent park heating (high) without off valve" as per below:

The other thing that I had to do was to get the "aux. heating" option showing up in the auxiliary ventilation menu on the dash screen.  I again used NCSDummy & NCSExpert for this, by changing the "Independent Park Heating" from "not enabled" to "enabled", as per below:

I've successfully tested this a number of times, and am happy with the result.  Being winter here in NZ, I tried it today at the snow - after the full 30-min run time of the auxiliary heater, the interior of the car was a pleasant (but not balmy) temperature, and the engine's temperature was just above the blue block - before starting the engine.  I'm pretty happy with that :)

One thing I didn't try when coding the IHKA ECU was to select the high cluster option with the off valve.  I suspect that if you did so, then the IHKA ECU would go looking for the water shut-off valve, and generate an error when it can't find it.  This is what I think was programmed into X5 ALN's car when the dealer chose the retrofit option - because the retrofit kit includes the water shut-off valve.
Chipped 2005 E53 X5 3.0d Sportpac | 2012 E91 335i Motorsport | 1992 R32 Skyline GT-R | 1998 Pulsar VZ-R Rally Car | 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by storminmike » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Stormin's webasto update: 12 months on and a replacement has just arrived from tinterweb land. Too cold to muck about now but will have a go in the daylight at the weekend

What I have discovered so far is
The old one whirrs at any electrical disturbance of the car. then just stops....no heat or owt...a few on here seem to have that same symptom

a deeper nosey suggests I have that diverter split valve (marked 12) too. 54 plate facelift. When it was last in the garage i recall something about valve being muttered on diagnostics but that was it

The replacement looks to have been removed without too many tools, wires cut and pipes sawn. Guess that's breakers for you, Even came with the mounting bracket attached

Apart from spillage of fuel and water (how much?) this should be easy I guess? Had the middle cover off to make sure hacking the wires wasn't terminal and it seems the hacked cable can be unplugged ok and mine on the car pushed in

Is there any sequence realting to key position, power etc I should beware when applying power (plugging cables in) after plumbing? I keep reading about locking so it will be keys out at the very least

anything else to beware?

Stevejspm

Post by Stevejspm » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Repaired mine today by use of this thread (already mentioned earlier on in this thread).......

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... 96&page=12

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Great find and unbelievably great job!

Stevejspm

Post by Stevejspm » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks Jaynana! 80pence for 1 capacitor & 1 resistor from Maplins & it's up & running. I'm so chuffed & happy to see it running for the first time since owning the car.

sprintman

Post by sprintman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:31 pm

hi guys

im a newbie but have got my webasto working via carsoft-bought on ebay and programmed the aux heater to work via the screen, then bought a t91 from a guy off ebay badged as  skoda but just got a BMW badge and swooped it,now I find that the remote only seems to work if the outside temp is below freezing although every time I try it it works about 30 secs then stops?
my car is E53 September 2005 production

Next task is a reversing camera-lol

ps also enabled video in motion with the carsoft! :)

any one in lancs needs any carsoft recoding let me know I will do my best to help!
My other car is the wife's mini dooper( it must be mine all she does is drive it!)

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Whereabouts in lancs are you mate and welcome to the forum.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

sprintman

Post by sprintman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Im in Rossendale :)
My other car is the wife's mini dooper( it must be mine all she does is drive it!)