Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Splitting / Seperating the headlight lense (fitment of halo angel eyes)

How-To articles ONLY go here.
shy7g

Splitting / Seperating the headlight lense (fitment of halo angel eyes)

Post by shy7g » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:54 am

Hi All
Has anyone ever separated the headlight/ lens on the E53 pre-facelift model
or knows of a link on how to do so?
Thanks

Black X5

Re: Splitting / Seperating the headlight lense (fitment of halo angel eyes)

Post by Black X5 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:39 pm

The very early pre facelift headlights could be separated by heating the adhesive with a hairdryer and softening it.

The later pre facelift headlights are more difficult. The adhesive is permanently set and requires lens cover to be cut away from the back and then glued back together. There is a date stamped on the lamp casing- hopefully someone else can advise you of the cutoff date.

I'm guessing you are wanting to fit brighter AE rings?
E70 3.0D SE, Black with Black - Gone but not forgotten!  >:D

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Yes , Split mine to fit AE's, there is a good post on here somewhere, or look up American site (outpost}.
On there front page is a list of various ''how to's)
Main thing is easier with a hairdryer, and there are a number of screws buried under the black goo.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Ubatoid

Post by Ubatoid » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Done that very job (for the second time) just this morning. I used a hot air gun - slowly play it around the lense so it is warm to the touch and then start levering around the edge with a couple of  large flat screwdrivers. The secret is to keep the "glue" warm (its more like tar) and go slowly. Start at the end furthest from the indicator as the other end is burried quite deep.

See my post "Eye upgrade attempt 1" for why I was splitting the lights.
2002 4.4 cooking on gas

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 pm

[quote="lezmtaylor"]
Yes , Split mine to fit AE's, there is a good post on here somewhere, or look up American site (outpost}.
On there front page is a list of various ''how to's)
Main thing is easier with a hairdryer, and there are a number of screws buried under the black goo.
Lez
[/quote]
Well I spent a good hour or two heating and attempting to separate the lense from the body  ::) my lights are off my X5 2002 pre-facelift and no such luck, all to was doing was starting to damage the body of the headlight. The screws that are buried are for the inner part of the light unit (holding the front part to the back body as far as I can see. Unless there's something else I can try, it take a braver man than me to cut the lense off :blink:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Another tool of choice is guitar picks for keeping the strain even when baking them apart.

R
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:44 am

I think they changed glue in Sept 2002, thepost 2002 are NOT splittable with heat.
The date of the unit is a very small  3/4 inch 'clock' on the headlamp shell, difficult to notice, but it is there.
Amswer is to by new units, or secondhand, but check date.

If I get time tomorrow I'll take a photo.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 am

[quote="lezmtaylor"]
I think they changed glue in Sept 2002, thepost 2002 are NOT splittable with heat.
The date of the unit is a very small  3/4 inch 'clock' on the headlamp shell, difficult to notice, but it is there.
Amswer is to by new units, or secondhand, but check date.

If I get time tomorrow I'll take a photo.

Lez
[/quote]
Had another look over one of the lamps and found a manufacturing date of 8/02, and the vehicle was registered on 31/10/02. So pretty close to say which way they are bonded together.
I think it’s best to leave well alone and save for some new ones. ;)

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:57 am

my car is 07 2002 and they split easily, have also bought  a pair of 08 2002 for spares and they split, so don't understand why yours won't.
Is it possible someone has already split  them and reglued with different glue ?

Lez

Mine cost £50 the pair off ebay, but I had vendor verify date clock.

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Mine are 2003 and were a pain..
Had to dremel the lense off around the groove.
Ensuring the securing lugs and clips were avoided.

Not for the feint hearted..

Refixed with a good dollop of silicone sealant to re-seal

As said a pain but doable if you are mad enough....
(hence why i did!!)
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:50 pm

I just wondered would there be any difference in the way they are bonded if the headlights are the factory fitted xenon type, cause they are the type I have fitted?

I have thought of removing all the lamps (bulbs), taping up the all the holes but one, then using an hairdryer to put some heat into the lamp, so the heat is spread around the whole of the lamp whilst using a second hairdryer externally? Thoughts on this idea ??? ???

I want to upgrade the sidelights from the typical yellow ones to white; what bulbs would be the best to fit so I don't get any errors on the panel once fitted? Suggestions please???

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:48 pm

So a mod I carried out back in 2013 when I fitted the halo rings was to add an LED strip across the bottom of the headlamps, just used as DRL's and for something slightly different to the norm. Now I want to upgrade these LED strips so
QUESTION:
Does anyone know if the E53 Pre-face-lift headlight carcasses on a Halogen lamp type and the Xenon lamp type, obviously other than the bolt on components
are the same ?
Cheers
Rich

marti

Post by marti » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Check the part numbers on realoem.....if the numbers are the same bingo :D

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:13 pm

I followed a guide some years ago that recommended sticking them in an oven at 200 c for 10 minutes (I think ) worked great, covers came of easy, fitted ccfl halo’s, nice and bright. Polished the plastic up. Have since fitted headlights and tails with LED replacement units. Just can’t bring myself to sell the old ones. You know that the day after you sell them you’ll get a stone through the ones you got. If you keep a spare part you can nearly guarantee they is the one thing that will never break on your vehicle?? Mine is 09/02
On a side note. Just replaced the faded headlight plastic on a 99 b3. Unclip replace with new £12 cover. 10 mins job done. Don’t you just love progress.