Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removal of side steps and rear arches

How-To articles go here.
Pradaman

Removal of side steps and rear arches

Post by Pradaman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 pm

I have a 3.5D msport 2009 and it is showing the usual sign of stone chipping on the rear plastic arches. I want to remove them and the side steps (not the alliminiuk ones with the rubber gromits) has anyone ever removed the arches and side steps? How difficult is it and how do they come off?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Removal of side steps and rear arches

Post by Leslie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:50 pm

The arches on the M sport e70 are held in with 6 plastic Rivets above the tyre , I had to drill these in the center with a thin drill bit as they wouldn't come out but the centers are supposed to tap though ,if you do this at an angle you don't have to take the wheel off but I did jack it up a bit for more clearance .Once these are out ,they will lever up and pull out after the center is drilled there are 4 plastic push fit clips on the rear start at the front of the arch and pull towards you as there are 2 locating lugs on the rear which will lift out last :D
I have just this minute refitted mine again after painting and had to take the wheels off to get room to fit the front 2 plastic rivets ,the other 4 where done in situ with wheels on. Some of the rivets were a rear struggle to get in the holes though the 3 layers . Don't buy the Chinese plastic rivets on Ebay ( I did ) as even with the correct tool the center pin just snapped too soon and didn't hold anything ! I they bought proper sealey rivets or bmw sell them but the clips you get with a push in pin would be a lot easier and need no special tools ...
I didn't remove the side sills, but looked into it and they have a load of plastic pop in clips along the bottom and the front arch will need removing at the back to allow access at the very least and I think there are a couple of m10 bolts either end too :D

marti

Re: Removal of side steps and rear arches

Post by marti » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 am

You should find removal instructions here: https://www.newtis.info/