Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Halo light upgrade?

How-To articles go here.
ocdste

Halo light upgrade?

Post by ocdste » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:45 am

Hello all I was wondering If someone might be able to explain the differences between the various different wattage available on H8 led bulbs?? Is it actually safe to put a 90watt H8 led bulb in to my headlight? Surely that would generate serious heat? Any advice would be great my current standard lights are tired and one has failed just looking to upgrade rather than replace. Thanks guys.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Halo light upgrade?

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Standard lamp is a 35W.  More than doubling that with a Halogen filament lamp will likely damage both the lamp holder and the wiring.  LEDs produce less heat but they still need cooling.  You are unlikely to overheat anything.  What tends to happen is that the manufacturer states the power of the total number of all the LEDs in the bulb.

What are you actually hoping to achieve?  The issue with most LED lamps is that they don’t correctly align with the light pipes that feed the Angel Eyes.  I gave up looking at simply fitted 35W Halogen MTEC bulbs with a blue filter to bring the colour temperature up.  At under twenty quid a set they are significantly cheaper than the LED alternatives.
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

SeanBren

Post by SeanBren » Thu May 16, 2019 3:07 pm

I would recommend fitting higher wattage bulbs...I recently fitted some following a few warnings of front side light failure the Halo lights no longer work I have check fuses which are ok. I led to believe the circuit shuts down after so many warning....I believe they can be reset🤔 as anyone else experienced the same issue..any advise would be much appreciated 👍👍

SeanBren

Post by SeanBren » Thu May 16, 2019 3:09 pm

I wouldn’t recommend fitting higher wattage bulbs...I recently fitted some following a few warnings of front side light failure the Halo lights no longer work I have checked fuses which are ok. I led to believe the circuit shuts down after so many warning....I believe they can be reset🤔 as anyone else experienced the same issue..any advise would be much appreciated 👍👍

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 pm

There are a lot of different claims for what are probably the exact same halo lights by different sellers the main thing is any of them look a million times better than the horribly dated yellow light of the old units even if they really only illuminate 2 halos properly and the other 2 dimly :hi:

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri May 17, 2019 1:32 pm

I have a 2002 e53 with xenon lights, lights are the splitteble type so I have fitted halo led rings, been on 12 months and well pleased.
Attachments
2017-03-23 11.40.05.jpg
2017-03-23 11.40.05.jpg (167.31 KiB) Viewed 7494 times