Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Emergency transmission release LCi model

How-To articles go here.
mr angry

Emergency transmission release LCi model

Post by mr angry » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:26 pm

Just in case anyone should require their LCi model recovered for any reason and the engine cannot be run, you will need to carry out the following:

Squeeze yourself under the nearside front of the car and remove the 8mm bolts securing the transmission undertray. Then you will see, no sorry feel, a bolt with a torx head (T30). The bolt sits vertically screwing upwards onto a lever on the ns of the gearbox.

Screw this bolt all the way in and you will hear a bong warning from the idrive. This is to tell you that the car is in neutral.

Obviously dont do this unless the parking brake is applied. Releasing the parking brake to allow the car to be pushed or loaded can be done as normal with ignition on.

I cant help but think this is a backward step from the earlier model whereby a suqare pegged tool from the boot was inserted into the cup holder. Doing this on the hard shoulder of a motorway would be pretty hazzardous I would think.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Emergency transmission release LCi model

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:29 pm

It was ZF that made the change leaving BMW with no other option, and yes doing it at the roadside is likely to be risky without someone behind you ‘en guard’. :x
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

mr angry

Re: Emergency transmission release LCi model

Post by mr angry » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:46 pm

I am not so sure as it wouldn't take much to rig some way of releasing from inside at the cup holder. I read somewhere that BMW didn't want users towing the vehicle and causing transmission damage, but how true this is I don't know.