Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E70 GPS antenna / cic sat nav addition

How-To articles go here.
wiredout

E70 GPS antenna / cic sat nav addition

Post by wiredout » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi guys,

Just bought a new ( to me) 2012 e70 40d. loads of extras on it already including panoramic sunroof etc but no sat nav or telephone functions ( although it does have basic cic and idrive etc) ! having searched the forums I could not find a previous thread on upgrading this , so apologies if I have missed it.

I have bought the replacement head unit, hd screen and all the necessary to upgrade , and the guy threw in a gps antenna that would fix to the top of the dash .It has also been coded to my VIN.  I have two questions - The car has the fin on the roof which presumably would ordinarily house the GPS antenna , but would have the GPS  been installed at the factory even if the car didn't have sat nav , and if so would the wires to connect it have been run to the dash behind where the navigation system would go ? I ask because it would obviously be a neater job than an aftermarket antenna on the dash.

Secondly does anybody know  a fitter in the Lancashire / Preston / Blackpool area ? The guy says it is a pretty simple DIY fix, however I don't have the tools to remove the facia without damaging it ?

thanks in anticipation
2012 3.0 40d Msport

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: E70 GPS antenna / cic sat nav addition

Post by Horizon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:14 pm

The sharks fin on the roof is for Bluetooth I think, when I retrofitted sat nav into my golf the GPS antenna sat inside the dash under the dah cover, it worked perfectly, post a photo of your GP/ antenna to see if it's the same size. ( about the size of a packet of 20 fags .)
There are a few "how to " articles on the internet.
I contemplated doing a CCC to CIC upgrade on my E93, but just retrofitted the 8 button CIC controller instead, as it already had professional nav and aux iPod integration, and I would have lost he voice activation too.
Sorry, don't knof of any one local, the nearest I found was Derbyshire.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Shark fin contains the GSM antenna (vertical) and GPS antenna (horizontal). Always fitted and colour coded even if the car options are not there.  You may find that the GPS connection ends there and not further forward.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

wiredout

Post by wiredout » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks.

The bluetooth combox is in the boot ( rear wing) , so definately not in the fin . The gps receiver supplied is much smaller than a packet of fags, perhapd the size of a chromecast ( but square)
2012 3.0 40d Msport

Nine468

Post by Nine468 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:41 am

Hi. Just mailed you regarding a fitter....
Dave W.
BMW E70 X5 40D

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:25 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Shark fin contains the GSM antenna (vertical) and GPS antenna (horizontal). Always fitted and colour coded even if the car options are not there.  You may find that the GPS connection ends there and not further forward.
[/quote]
Apologies, I thought the fin was only fitted to cars with Bluetooth phone prep
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:10 pm

As long as it can see the sky it works  :)

Some VAG windscreens, and my E53 anti-IR windscreen, block the signals.  My Škoda has a metallic layer heated screen that severely reduces the signal.

The E53 has special 'windows' either side of the mirror and bottom centre where your type of antenna can be mounted.  I don't believe the E70/71 have that issue though.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.