Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scratched idrive screen

How-To articles go here.
snrbrtsn

Scratched idrive screen

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 pm

One of my old annoyances,
From my E60 days onwards I was always annoyed at the inability to clean idrive screens, so I used to remove and fit a screen protector, today I done the same with X5, all in took half an hour from removal to install, I had screen covers already, that I'd used in E60, F07 & now installed in E70

Removal of screen via the attached link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FyYL7cE1C9Y

Once removed unit was taken inside, screen is easily removed from the dash mount by removing x4 Torx 8 screws & unclips at the corners.
Cleaned with LCD cleaner then insulating applied over screen  to remove dust debris,
Insulating tape used due to its low tack properties, applied over screen & removed.
After this I cut screen protector to size and installed bubble free (after second attempt)

Screen is now so much sharper, appearance is scratch free when off, distinct anti glare, I tried with pano roof open and closed, all in all a considerable difference with a modern screen look.

Whilst this is not a new enhancement, it's been done for years but often forgotten, some take the time to remove all antiglare coating once the screen is removed, my screen was in no means bad, so I never ( and have never) removed, however I know all too well how easy the anti glare coating is damaged and makes the screen look terrible, whilst at the same time, I knew of the benefits installing, so much so I thought I'd share, shall post pictures when taken...
Screen covers are available from Amazon, "BMW idrive screen protectors", I believe these are pre measured, I used what I had, A crystal screen protector.

snrbrtsn

Re: Scratched idrive screen

Post by snrbrtsn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:09 am

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:11 am

Don't think the pictures do it justice,
First picture, is a glossy, streak / mark free
Second picture, is meant to show sharper clarity

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:31 am

Nice job and great tip.... :ok:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

jeepstertim

Post by jeepstertim » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:46 pm

this is an absolute must for my screen, could you enlarge on 'LCD cleaner', I'm guessing the solvent will need to clean the existing anti glare coating off?

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:24 pm

I used LCD computer monitor cleaner
Personally I wouldn't remove the antiglare OEM coating, once the screen protector is fitted any marks will be masked!
By all means search you tube for clearing the coating though I'd try a cover first!