Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ventilation issues

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
PierreNel1982

Ventilation issues

Post by PierreNel1982 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Hi All. I have 2 issues please read below.

With the 1st hot weekend over easter. I fired up the AC and there was nothing at all. Not even a slight change in cooling. Obviously I hope its just the refrigerant that has leaked out and not anything that has failed. Does an E70 usually go to nothing on AC when it runs low/out. All my prior cars went low on cooling (Mercedes) but never nothing before having a recharge. Hope a recharge is all it needs, last summer I did think it was a bit weak and had to have the blower on full to keep car cool. Maybe it was low then. Any opinions?

Also the vents that the air blows through wont change anymore, this is more worrying. Its currently stuck blowing onto the windscreen and footwells only. Wont change at all to the middle vents despite me using the switch under the seat heating buttons or I drive. Is it the motor that has failed? Can it be reset. Any suggestions welcome, is there a fuse to check?

Thanks again.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ventilation issues

Post by X5Sport » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:39 pm

If the gas pressure falls below a certain point then the a/c compressor will lock out so you get no cooling. It’s to prevent the compressor seals melting. Modern car a/c systems need to be either run continuously or very regularly to ensure the seals stay lubricated due to modern refrigerants needing oil as well as gas. They lose anything up to 15% per year, more if not used.

You should hear a solid ‘click’ if the compressor clutch engages. No click probably means low pressure so it freewheels.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks for that, hope a re-gas sorts it out. Going to kwik-fit down the road tomorrow.

Anyone got advice on the middle vents that the air blows through wont change anymore, this is more worrying. Its currently stuck blowing onto the windscreen and footwells only. Wont change at all to the middle vents despite me using the switch under the seat heating buttons or I drive. Is it the motor that has failed?Also heard battery issues can cause it. But I had mine recently replaced in Jan anyway, its brand new basically.
Can it be reset. Any suggestions welcome, is there a fuse to check?

PierreNel1982

Post by PierreNel1982 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Quick update. Middle air vents started working randomly on Easter weekend. Fully functional also. So strange

I had the aircon re gassed, it was low but not empty which was a good sign, all is good now. Aircon still feels feeble I must admit. I have to have the blower on nearly full strength to cool the car. But then its so noisy. My old Cd200 Coupe was way better. Its working though cant complain.

Just need to sort the auto headlight issue.
https://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 91#p168491
Anyone able to help, both units surely cant fail.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue May 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Does your car have the little wheel thing by the centre air vent with red and blue either side and if so was it turned all the way to the blue.
Just a thought as a m8 of mine said his was not cold but he never turned the wheel to the blue.