Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

e70 40d cranks but not starting

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
mr angry

Re: e70 40d cranks but not starting

Post by mr angry » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:20 pm

I had a look in the tank and small bits of swarf were visible, so at least I know whats wrong. I already have one new injector as the car was smokey on start up and thankfully hadn't fitted it yet. On full throttle the car was a little smokey as well due to over fuelling so I had planned to replace them at some point I can get another five for £1100.

The annoying thing is, I had just fuelled the car in a local Sainsburys and wonder has this been brought on by contaminated diesel , or is it just coincidence that it happened 2 miles after fuelling? I may have a sample tested but not sure how successful I would be in pursuing a claim if it was found to be contaminated.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Unless it smells of petrol id say you won't have any chance with a claim and id expect there would have been a flood of claims by now , it is a coincidence but possibly no more that that .Well at least that one injector is ok .

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Got the car back on the road after replacing all of the injectors, injection pump, pre-supply pump, fuel filter and fuel heater. I started it from cold this morning and it emitted some grey smoke for a few seconds which is unburnt diesel. Now this fault existed prior to the injection pump failure but I just thought it was a worn injector leaking into the cylinder overnight. I have now six new injectors and it is still doing it :headbang: I am at a loss as to what is causing this.

I also have the issue with the steering angle sensor causing the dsc and 4x4 light to illuminate. I dismantled the steering angle sensor and szl module from the steering column earlier today as I saw online that the optical disc which forms part of the steering angle sensor can become contaminated. Looking at it I saw no evidence of any dirt or contamination but wiped it anyway. Put it all back together and no joy. In fact the airbag warning lamp was also on.....it seems that this is due to me connecting the battery whilst the wheel was off as I needed to adjust the steering column to remove the cowlings. I managed however to reset the airbag light using the scanner....phew. I think I will have a peek on ebay for another szl unit and steering sensor.

After all this I thought I would fit a set of new Focal front door speakers which I bought some time ago but it seems I require adapter plates as BMW speaker mountings are different to all other manufacturers.

marti

Post by marti » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 am

You dont mention replacing the glow plugs or glow plug controller.....try the controller first.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:12 am

I did consider the plugs and controller Marti but dismissed it after no codes showing. Also the ambient temp just now is in the 20s so will they even be used?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Is it driving ok now ? , just drive it for a bit see how it goes , mine said heater plugs 1 to 4 failed but it makes no difference to starting in the summer months , only struggled to start first time a couple below zero and heard the starter re-engage to keep it going one morn.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Yes it drives fine, although it did before it broke down too. I have noticed that the average mpg reading is climbing above 30mpg which is better than the 27 before.

marti

Post by marti » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:00 am

Leslie wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:38 pm Is it driving ok now ? , just drive it for a bit see how it goes , mine said heater plugs 1 to 4 failed but it makes no difference to starting in the summer months , only struggled to start first time a couple below zero and heard the starter re-engage to keep it going one morn.
Mine wouldnt do a DPF regen with two plugs out.....just a heads up :thumbsup:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Thanks Marti mine is regenning fine at the minute, pipes are clean , I did get that code cleared and haven't checked if it came back as I don't have a code reader .I did think it was a bit random 1,2,3 and 4 were out so wasn't convinced especially as it still regens which people say is not possible plus horror stories of broken plugs on here put me off and the guy I went to didn't want to try to take them out as he had recently done a set but it didn't go smoothly :lol: