Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Repeater Indicators.

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Andy Collings

Repeater Indicators.

Post by Andy Collings » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Just spent about 4 hours in total playing with these. My original one on the drivers side wasn't sitting properly at the front end, was sicking out quite a bit and looked awful. Couldn't get it to sit right at all. Behind where it sits is a plastic trough which stops the light going in flush. Thought maybe it was a rogue light unit. Bought a new one from Eurocarparts for around £22.00, was exactly the same, just won't fit properly, really bad design. Still butts up against the trough. Oh and by the way, the original one the metal clip came off and went down into the wing forever. The new one was held in quite secure though, also note that on the passenger side if you drop the cable inside the wing, which I did, it's a bugger to fish it back out again. Took a metal coat hangar and cursing and swearing to get it back. The drivers side is much more sensibly situated. Anyway found some smoked LED units on ebay for around £10.00 for the pair, looked the business in the box, also a little less bulky. Eventually got the passenger side one in but not without some trouble, didn't sit right was a slight gap all around and the clip didn't hold the unit tight. Filled the gap with black RTV.
Same problem on drivers side but was still sat proud a little more than should be and clip wouldn't hold unit in place, front end still wouldn't go in flush but was much better than original. All was resolved with very strong double sided tape, held it in position long enough to fill this side also with black RTV. So far so good and look better than the originals.
So just to warn how much of a pain these can be, unless you have to leave these lights alone and don't think they will come out and go back in as easy as some of the other BMW variants. I did look at some Youtube video's and it does look easy on some cars but not these!