Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transfer box problems; a known issue? (I'm having a nightmare!)

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Nictrix

Re: Transfer box problems; a known issue? (I'm having a nightmare!)

Post by Nictrix » Sat May 27, 2017 10:57 pm

[quote="kkx5"]
Space saver wheel will have same rolling as normal wheel.
[/quote]
Maybe when brand new but if the set on the car have worn down to 3mm then the space saver is used after a puncture it would then be different.
None of what I am saying really matters though, personally I find it hard to believe that a slight difference in tyre diameter due to different tread depths knacker the transfer box but I wont risk trying it out.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 28, 2017 9:24 am

Emergency wheels deliberately have less tread depth (not much above the legal limit), are max speed limited and only really to be used to get you to somewhere to fix the tyre.  This little use won't cause a problem.  There are warnings in the manuals for cars that use this 'emergency' wheel.  They are get you out of the mire parts only.

If an owner chooses to drive much further than that then they are asking for trouble.  What doesn't help of course is then getting a RFT flat in the middle of nowhere on a bank holiday weekend!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

aruek

Post by aruek » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Gents... Helll I am looking for a e70 2011. Driven one yesterday and the car like vibrates at low speed cornering either side. I saw it was fitted with 235/60R18 non run flat...  Seems like that might be the problem?? Guess I should avoid buying it despite the good price.

Enviado desde mi SM-A520F mediante Tapatalk

Abbot26

Post by Abbot26 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:44 pm

[quote="aruek"]
Gents... Helll I am looking for a e70 2011. Driven one yesterday and the car like vibrates at low speed cornering either side. I saw it was fitted with 235/60R18 non run flat...  Seems like that might be the problem?? Guess I should avoid buying it despite the good price.

[/quote]

Run forest run  :blink:

aruek

Post by aruek » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Hahahaha thank you.[quote="Abbot26"]
[quote="aruek"]

[/quote]

Run forest run  :blink:
[/quote]

Mr black

Post by Mr black » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Found these guys if it’s any use to anyone.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2526637164

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:39 pm

I think that's KKX5's advert, he's a member on here
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Should be fitted with 255/55R18.  235/60 R18 is not far off though (2.5mm larger dia) but could be enough to cause trouble.  Given it isn’t a Type Approved size for the E70 I would run away as recommended above.

aruek

Post by aruek » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:55 am

Thank you guys I'll keep looking.[quote="X5Sport"]
Should be fitted with 255/55R18.  235/60 R18 is not far off though (2.5mm larger dia) but could be enough to cause trouble.  Given it isn’t a Type Approved size for the E70 I would run away as recommended above.
[/quote]

kkx5

Post by kkx5 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:48 am

[quote="Horizon"]
I think that's KKX5's advert, he's a member on here

Spandex

Post by Spandex » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:33 am

[quote="kkx5"]
How would you design a sharp, responsive 4x4 system which can compensate 4 different rolling radius????? ???
[/quote]
That’s what differentials do all day long (unless you somehow only ever drive on arrow-straight roads). So the issue isn’t 4 different wheel speeds, it’s the degree of difference and amount of time that difference is present - I.e. it’s down to the heat generated.

Dealing with this isn’t impossible, it’s just an unnecessary additional cost for car manufacturers. The additional cost of warranty repairs is probably significantly less than the cost of over-engineering the drivetrain.

alan996

Post by alan996 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Had mine back at the dealership yesterday for the same shudder...

Next stage is to replace the oil and failing that a transfer case..

Thankfully mine is an AUC

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dirtyboy

Post by Dirtyboy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Mines going in tomorrow to have the transfer box looked at. Been suffering with the judder of a while now. All tyres are good with loads of tread, remapped, transfer box oil changed and still judders, not even under load. Fingers crossed. Bought my 2010 e70 MSport in Feb has 52k on clock and came with a warranty so hope they will cover the cost. You never know how good any warranty is until you make a claim. :'(

aruek

Post by aruek » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi guys, well I bought a 44,500kms one owner 2011 E70.
Car feels nice, and price was good! NOW:
The frond left tire was kind of worn out by shoulders like used with low pressure.  I got a fair set of Michelin run flat Tires same size as original and fitted four of them. Nevertheless there is one of the front that is slightly more worn than the others by a small margin 1mm maybe 1.5mm. my questions are:
1. How can I tell if I will damage my transfer box because of this? Is there any test I can run, perform to know?
2. Why are these cars doing that? Worn out one of the 4 faster than the others? A friend of mine with the same car bought the car with the exact same issue one of the front tires much more worn thar the others.
3. Will it be a crazy thing to remove the front slightly unbalanced weared tires and install two equally worn tires from Bridgestone? Since I have 3 sitting around with plenty left.

Sorry for my english. And thanks a lot. 

Enviado desde mi Pixel XL mediante Tapatalk

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Uneven wear can be caused by suspension alignment issues, incorrect tyre pressures, driving style, or always going round roundabouts.

Ideally all 4 tyres should be changed as a set, and you should use ‘*’ marked tyres as recorded on multiple threads on the Forum.

The only way to tell if you have a problem is jerkiness at slow speed on full lock, or unusual noises in the transmission.

Don’t mix sets from different manufacturers.  Only use the sizes and ratings shown on the tyre pressure plate inside the driver’s door opening.

You haven’t said whether you have a staggered wheelset - front and rear wheel hubs are different widths - or all four are the same.