Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

No sound!!

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Lee_h82

No sound!!

Post by Lee_h82 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi im new to the forum. Im in need of some help on my car please. so i plug my phone into the usb port in the armrest then i only got to down the road then i smell this plastic burnt smell. Then i get this message on the idrive ‘no acoustic tones’ i now have no sounds at all no warning sound nothing. The idrive still works fine. I have the top hifi amplifer in the boot checked to see if that has power to it which it does. So now im lost any help would be greatful

Thanks
X5 E70 40D M Sport Black loving it  ;)

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: No sound!!

Post by graemeX5 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi

I would just ask is the phone still connected with no sound and if so what happens if phone disconnected does the sound come back to the system or is there still no sound? 

If the sound comes back when the phone is disconnected I would check the USB cable to make sure it's the right one as some are Y cables which also have a jack point as well as the USB which have to be plugged in. With my  car it wouldn't recognise the phone and play music with just a USB lead connected, and ps it would work with an earlier lead from a ccc system on the later system

Also I would start and check the fuses to see if one has blown esp with the burnt smell, but after the question is why and I would not know apart from either too much current or a short somewhere, but I think X5Sport may be able to help more with this.

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Lee_h82

Post by Lee_h82 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the reply. As soon as i smelt the burnt smell i unplugged the phone from the usb port the car has no sound at all now no warning sound nothing. No phone is connected at all.
I have checked all the fuses in the boot they are all ok. I have opened up the usb port in the armrest to see where it goes but cant see much unless i remove the while armrest which looks like a very hard job.

Do you know if there is a block for the usb port in the armrest?

I hope x5sport can help with this as its stressing me out trying to figure this out.

Lee

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:57 am

Sounds like a bad cable or the phone may want more current than the USB can provide - though that should just stop it charging.  There have been some issues with USB C type lead connections going faulty and overloading PC Systems.  It could be the USB hub below the armrest, or it could be the Amp in the back burnt neither of which would blow a fuse, or anything in the middle.

These CIC iDrive equipped cars are electronically complex and I think this is one where you are going to need Dealership support to get the codes read.  There are modules all over the car and knowing which one isn’t playing nicely anymore is where you need to start.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 am

Hi Lee

Doing more looking around on another forum and and realoem I found this for the telephone control module on realoem as to its location which is in boot of all places.

So it may be worth chcking if cables to it are okay or if cables show signs of any probs and check the fuses on the other side of the boot and after that I think it may be a trip to auto electrician or dealer.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... 4109229740

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Lee_h82

Post by Lee_h82 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi Graeme

Thanks for the research i appreciate it alot. I managed to remove my rear climate control unit but no joy with the usb module under there. I did try follow the cables and they going to the front of the car so im guessing somewhere behind the radio. Im going to have a good look on the weekend before i have to take it to the dealers

Thanks

Lee

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:54 pm

If you have SA6VC (or similar) on your options list then you have a Combox unit which is probably behind the trim, left side of the boot area.  My USB cable goes back to that.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.