Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Angel Eyes Intermittent??

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Sit

Angel Eyes Intermittent??

Post by Sit » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:50 am

When the car was originally delivered I noticed that whenever I unlocked the car via the fob the angel eye rings slowly lit up in stages along with rear light clusters - nice touch I thought!

However over the last few days the angel eyes have stopped doing this all together?? As for the rear clusters I haven't had chance to check as its been parked in a space at work with the rear hidden from view.

Is this lighting up of the angel eyes switchable somewhere, I don't think I have changed any car settings, or is it dependent on daylight etc??

Si
2010 X5 30d M Sport Carbon Black | Camel Leather, 20's | HUD | Shadowline | Privacy | CIC iDrive | Adaptive Drive | Pro Nav | Loudspeaker Audio | High Beam Assist | Enhanced Bluetooth | Media Pack | Bum Warmers!

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Angel Eyes Intermittent??

Post by Alan Gunn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Could be the colder weather and the battery is slightly lower in power.
I think if that is the case then things like this stop working to save power.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Was your light switch in ‘Auto’.

My lights only come on if it in that position when unlocking.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Sit

Post by Sit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 am

I reckon cold weather could be something to do with it, this morning they didn’t come on and when I turned the ignition on I got a message ‘excess drain on battery’ or something similar?!?

Si
2010 X5 30d M Sport Carbon Black | Camel Leather, 20's | HUD | Shadowline | Privacy | CIC iDrive | Adaptive Drive | Pro Nav | Loudspeaker Audio | High Beam Assist | Enhanced Bluetooth | Media Pack | Bum Warmers!

PhilT

Post by PhilT » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:19 am

Sounds like the battery’s on its way out.

I had the same thing on my X6 for about the last 6 months, none of my lights would come on when I unlocked the car & I would get ‘Increased Battery Drain’ alerts.

As Alan says certain systems shut down when the battery is low to save power for starting the car. Cold weather makes it worse - I got a parking brake failure alert on Saturday morning when it was really frosty.

I replaced the battery over the weekend with an Exide AGM (£176 from Eurocarparts) and all is well & back to normal now.

HTH
Cheers
Phil.

Current Drive:
E71 X6 30D 2011
E53 X5 3.0D 2004

Previous:
S54 Z3 MCoupe 2002
S50 Z3 MCoupe 1998
E46 330 Ci Sport 2003

Sit

Post by Sit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up, it’s in BMW AUC warranty so think I will give them a bell or perhaps call BMW Assist when it does it next.

Si