Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Egr delete on remap?

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Stuboy

Egr delete on remap?

Post by Stuboy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi All

I’m having my E70 remapped soon via quantum tuning.

They offer the EGR Delete option.

There is no issue that I know of with my EGar but I’ve just had a brand new manifold fitted under warranty.

Would anyone recommend I delete the EGR on the remap to stop the new new manifold blocking up? And cure any future issues?

Is this recommended?

snrbrtsn

Re: Egr delete on remap?

Post by snrbrtsn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:49 pm

I’m going to be a hypocrite (mines not mapped but I’ve been there)
The emmision control checks have been tightened, more stringent checks are being introduced on the Mot, so whilst you may solve one problem, it may trip you up later... ie fouled Dpf
Afaik, it’s not just the Dpf that’s being scrutinised, more the complete system.....

Various companies carry out generic mapping, most make promises of power gains, ultimately by increasing the fuelling and or fooling sensors into different values to increase the fuelling, ultimately, most result in the unburnt deposits and false mpg gains with placebo customer thinking of dramatic power increases....

What will be evident is more frequent requirement to remove the sooty residue from the rear end
I’d advise against both a remap and an Egr delete....

Stuboy

Post by Stuboy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi
I don’t think you understand what a remap is. A car fitted with a working dpf has no sit at the rear end. Mine is completely clear.

The egr delete stops the swirl flaps blocking up in the inlet manifold, making it last longer and a cleaner running engine.

The remap is via quantum, not a generic map.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:21 am

I don’t think you understand what Sean is saying.
New MOT regulations are coming in 2018 to catch the people who mess with emissions and the likes.
I would hold back on any remap until we get some feedback from people with it done and have gone through the new MOT testing when it comes into force.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:20 am

[quote="Stuboy"]
Hi
I don’t think you understand what a remap is. A car fitted with a working dpf has no sit at the rear end. Mine is completely clear.

The egr delete stops the swirl flaps blocking up in the inlet manifold, making it last longer and a cleaner running engine.

The remap is via quantum, not a generic map.
[/quote]

Sorry, your absolutely correct,
I thought Quantum took the Ecu out, rewrote or overwrite the software, with a little bit of tweaking to the pre and post combustion sensor values, Adjust the Maf and increase the fuel pressures, silly me! They are clearly at the top of they’re game,
Thanks for the Egr description, very informative.  :blink:

In the nicest possible way, I would suggest a thorough reading up on the process and functions of Emission control system, the methods of remapping and simplicity to change the values of the EPROM chipset is a fascinating area, moreso when overlaying is attempted... ;)

I would still suggest you avoid remapping & removal of the Egr

The monies can be put to one side for the next vehicle of choice with the power you desire!
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuboy

Post by Stuboy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 am

You do realise a remap is just another way of manufactures trying to steal extra cash from buyers buy offering similar power models with the same spec don’t you??

For example
Ford custom the whole range of 2.0 uses the same engine, injectors and setup just different maps...

Vw transporter 84, 100, 115 again the same.

Some manufactures tweak turbo, injector and other components for increased power.

Not all remapping is bad my friend.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:43 am

I absolutely agree various engines are offered in different state of tune
The N57 / M57 bmw engine is used throughout the brand range in many different states of tune however there is notable tweaks to more than just the Ecu, inlet manifolds, intercoolers, turbos, injectors (dare I suggest brakes suspension and exhaust to balance the power upgrade) etc etc
Too gain a reliable power gain, it’s often not as simple as tweaking one item ie the Ecu map...

The marketing of “Air filter” for example, complete and utter horsesh... for sure when installed in combination airflow will increase charge pressure, cool the air temperature and induce vortex to increase the volume of air during the combustion process however many will misfit on the premise of immediate 3-5hp gains, because it says so on the box!

Whilst possibly entirely incorrect, in your case you have just replaced, had cleaned, the inlet manifold due to the notorious gumming problems, was this caused by The EGR, very debatable....was it caused by the user, in most cases YES!
The majority of cars are used for short stop start, (to the shops to the school to the place of work & back) seldom do the engines get up to temperatures sufficient to allow efficient, optimised running, unfortunately in majority of the cases this is the problem, is the course of action to Start removing items and mapping for performance and efficiency gains, NO

Whilst it’s easy to throw money at a problem, start removing and modifying things, the best course of action would be in adopting the Italian tuneup technique, ie tackle the problem head on!

Venture out on the dual carriageway, get up to the speed limit, then slide across the gear lever into the manual box and select 4 / 5 gear, effectively increasing the revs and working the engine blowing out the cobwebs! Doing this for circa 5 miles.
Doing this frequently will merit more reward than a £300 remap and blowing circa £200 on removal of EGR to be honest, you’ll most likely notice the difference immediately, as if you’d just blown the money on a remap!

Ultimately what I’m suggesting is our driving habits play havoc with the engines, a long run underload is far more beneficial than a EPROM tweak!

Stuboy

Post by Stuboy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:05 am

Geez.

Please do some home work on remapping and the inlet manifold flap problem on the  bmw engine.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:21 am

Good luck with your map & Egr delete!

It is after your car and your decision!  :xmaswink:

Interesting
http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/t ... n.html#new

Stuboy wrote!
Hi

I had a Range Rover sport done by Stan Ward.

The engine threw 3 Conrods under full boost within 22 miles?!!

Make your own mind up.

I don’t know whom was to blame but cost me £6500 for a new short block!!
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuboy

Post by Stuboy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 am

Wow. Hit a nerve did I?
:P

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:36 am

Not all, you’ve clearly made your mind up!

I’d hazard a guess at having removed more inlet manifolds from BMW’s than you’ve had miles from your previously mapped RRS!
With the greatest of respect, I’m not going to start a tit for tat discussion, rather let you do your thing, but please come back and share the experience! Pm if required I’d love to be proven wrong!
I’m guessing anything over 30miles troublefree is a success case !
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Just removed the last two posts as it was getting a little personal. Banter etc is all good, but please don't make it personal.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Personally I don't get stuff like this now in my older age.! I have a 3.0D F15 X5 which I'm more than happy with for speed, acceleration and so on...... as I was with my older X5 E70 I owned. If I wanted a bit more poke, its easy, I would just buy a 4.0 D next time and then if you still want more poke you can get the 5.0 D. These days now, you got to be so carful messing with engines as there all so complicated and there is so much that can and does go wrong and end up costing ££££££££'s 
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:56 am

Setting the egr to stay closed all the time will keep the intake system cleaner
If this is done the right way the dpf will still work as normal and pass the new mot

A lot of tuner are having problems setting the egr closed all time which is causing the dpf to not regen

I would advise you to do a lot of research on the company you are thinking to use as we have fixed many problems caused by the Remaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk