Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E70 X5 4.8 7 Seater - No Sound at all

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
BavariaClassics

E70 X5 4.8 7 Seater - No Sound at all

Post by BavariaClassics » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm

I'm hoping someone can help me with this, the Mrs is killing me!

So, we've got an e70 X5 4.8 with no sound at all, everything looks to be working, stereo, cd, rear dvd, pdc, nav etc. when you jump in the mute symbol is always on but it goes off when you push the volume button. The only things that dont work are the reversing camera, we've got the SOS malfunction (I assume because there's no phone), the bluetooth doesnt seem to work and we've got a battery drain message all the time (I know the CCC headunit can cause battery drain if its knackered???).

It went to BMW for diagnosis and they said it had a faulty amp, so I sent it over to Logic7Amps in the states and he said its fine, no fault.

So I tried a new telematics unit, still nothing...

Ive got an optical loop cable but I'm all out of ideas of what to bypass.

Does anyone know what other modules there are in the fibre optic system? The car has rear dvd, reversing camera, Logic 7 Amp, NO Cd changer, cradle for a phone in the arm rest but no handset.

Im pretty lost with this, give me an old 850 any day. Any pointers would be appreciated

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: E70 X5 4.8 7 Seater - No Sound at all

Post by graemeX5 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi

Sorry to hear about the problem and this is probably one that X5Sport may be be able to help with extensive knowledge of these cars

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Not on the E70 I’m afraid.  Mine has gone silent twice but recovered the next time it’s been started.

There is too much fibre and interconnection between modules going on and it could be any other them.  If the Amp is fine then it could be either a break in the fibre from the Amp to the head, or a dead optical receiver in the head, or just a plug out - but finding it is a mare!  There are also copper links (as in wires) that may be involved and failed too!

If they are all down that implies a head issue.....
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Lee_h82

Post by Lee_h82 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:46 pm

Hi

I would say unplug your module one by one in the boot and see where you have optic light then try see which module does not have the optic light then its most likely the module before that module is faulty. Hope this helps
X5 E70 40D M Sport Black loving it  ;)

BavariaClassics

Post by BavariaClassics » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. The problem I'm having is figuring out which modules other than the Amp and the TCM (bluetooth) run on fibre optic. The rear camera for example isnt working, no idea where it is or if its optic. I might be able to get her in doors out of it tomorrow so I can strip it down