Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

RE: Snapped Propshaft

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
swally76

RE: Snapped Propshaft

Post by swally76 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Firstly Happy New Year All,

Please disregard my previous posts about fault codes, Chip resulting in increased emissions!!
My problems went to a whole new level in October 2017

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: RE: Snapped Propshaft

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Interesting.  BMW have a ‘Quality Enhancement’ going on for propshafts right now.  Worth checking if yours was ever done.  It was never a full scale recall, and isn’t on the VOSA site but a lot are being replaced (including mine in 2011).

It would be worth getting a fault/error code read done and see what shows up.

Not a good way to start with the X cars though - and we have a few members who had this happen.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

swally76

Post by swally76 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:30 pm

X5Sport,

Thanks for the reply, I think I’ve mentioned in previous posts that the warranty on this vehicle was voided by Stratstone BMW because of a chip of some description
The vehicle has full service history from Synter BMW, I briefly spoke to them when my propshaft snapped & I can recall the service manager telling me that there was something replaced under warranty!!
Any ideas what I could do next before I bankrupt myself ??
It’s throwing up Turbo fault codes & o2 sensor codes

Thanks in advance

swally76

Post by swally76 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:13 pm

All just a quick question,

Does the Transmission Release have to be reset after it’s been disengaged ?? Could this be the reason why it’s kicked out of drive whilst driving.
I can’t quite understand how an engine that has sat at idle for 30 Minutes with no issues now be hard to crank, would it be worth checking the ground strap ??

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers