Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cutting out occasionally

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Wesley1874

Cutting out occasionally

Post by Wesley1874 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:00 pm

I suspect this may be a fault already mentioned on here somewhere but here goes.  I don't use my 2007 3.0D very often at the moment as working away.  I just drove down the road to fill up ans as I pulled up, it cut out.  When I tried starting it, it kept turning over even with my finger off the button.  I pulled the key out, it started OK.  Another mile up the road, it did the same thing.  It died on me, but was OK after restarting, then on the journey back it did the same thing.  Any ideas what it could be?  Thanks for any help,

Wesley1874

Re: Cutting out occasionally

Post by Wesley1874 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:06 am

Well this problem ended up as a complete failure, found a possible cause googling whilst sat at the side of the road, and turned out to be correct.  Found several references to the same issues on American sites. It turns out the if the scuttle cover behind the engine isn't seating properly, or cracked, rainwater can leak through and drop on the engine cover.  It can then find its way through the engine cover and pool around the injectors, particularly No.5 injector.  And if the car is stood for a while in rain or snow (which mine is, working away I dont use it often) the problem gets worse as it doesn't dry out.  Anyway, car taken for repair and 4,5.6 injectors found waterlogged.  I could also see water dripping on to the engine so had new covers fitted as well.

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5- ... ector.html

See the above.  That X5 looks great in white!

So if you suspect you have a water leak, get it fixed!