Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transmission failsafe help

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Bigb

Transmission failsafe help

Post by Bigb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi there, I got the transmission failsafe message on a few nights ago, was fine after I stopped and switched the motor off and on. I was watching the tv for 20 minutes whilst waiting on my daughter finishing work and I only use the x5 at weekends so I'm hoping this may just be a battery issue due to lack of decent runs and having lights/heaters/wipers going in this weather? I tested the battery when I got home after letting it sit for 4 hours and was about 12.2v( this was after a 25 minute run home after the problem) I bought a battery conditioner and hooked it up for a couple of days and the battery held 12.8v after a few hours after charged. I have driven around 100 miles and the code has not appeared again, could this error just be a low battery issue at the time as it was a bit worrying? Thanks Bryan
Last edited by Bigb on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briankerrys47

Re: Transmission failsafe help

Post by briankerrys47 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:10 pm

Defo battery fact

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 pm

I’d almost certainly say battery related

My car has sat most of the year other than infrequent short journeys, blowers, seat heaters etc
today it threw a wobbly, shame it can’t just blurt out - time for battery top up, instead it gives all manner of codes!
I’ve left on charge hooked up to the ctek 7.0 and tomorrow it’ll behave!

Having the correct charger will tell you the state of battery and whether holding charge, tomorrow I’m hopeful I’ll be on the conditioning cycle - meaning batteries good!

Bigb

Post by Bigb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks for the reply, it had me worried as when it came on, I stopped at the lights and when pulling away, it struggled and seemed to slip for a couple of seconds, I have read this is due to it locking in 5th when in failsafe? Forgot to add it's a 2005 3.0d with 136k and had a gearbox service about a year ago. It drives very smooth and shifts gear perfectly so this was completely out of the blue

Bigb

Post by Bigb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Snrbrtsn, my battery conditioner does the same,I was glad to see it on the conditioning cycle and holding a good charge. I disconnected the battery to do this, can you charge them when still hooked up to the car? As my charger has terminals that can be connected to the battery so I can just plug it in instead of taking the wheel and compressor out

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:37 pm

Charging whilst connected is fine, and you should use the under bonnet points.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:50 pm

I don’t dispute the under bonnet charging points, I’d be foolish to!
It’s been talked about many times!

I have the comfort leads hooked up & accessed through the rear cubby hole in the boot, always connected and tucked away when not in use!
Positive lead is connected to the battery, negative lead is connected to the bodies earth point, down stream of the Intelligent Battery Sensor, (using the same point)
The Ibs lead monitors the battery, hence the need to ensure it’s connected downstream!

Many suggest it’s incorrect and underbonnet points should be used, it works for me and doesn’t leave danglies under the bonnet!

In this case I’d keep an eye on codes / warning messages, though more than sure it’s battery related, if in doubt have the codes read, as something will be logged, even if it’s battery related!
For this I use Carly read and clear the codes!
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigb

Post by Bigb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:54 pm

Ok thanks guys, I hooked them up to the battery for ease but I will move them to the engine bay, I haven't used them like this yet, I just used the jaw connectors with the terminals disconnected.