Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tapping shushing noise

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
Hairdye

Tapping shushing noise

Post by Hairdye » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi all
Need a bit of help and advice please if possible. My car has started to make a sort of tapping sshh sshh noise and it's not going away. It's definitely coming from the front and at first I thought it had a nail or something in the tyre. There isn't however a nail in the tyre so it's not that. Just taken it out for a spin and when I brake hard the noise is still there but it sounds faster if that makes sense. The car has 62000 on and is really smooth to drive but I did notice under heavy braking there is a bit of judder.
Anyone any ideas please ?
Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tapping shushing noise

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Brake pads OK?  There is only a single wear trigger so it it is not that pad, no warning!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Hairdye

Post by Hairdye » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 pm

They look fine from what I can see but I haven't had the wheel off . I will try and have a look tomorrow after work if I get home in time .
Thanks for the reply

Hairdye

Post by Hairdye » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:51 pm

I've had a look as best I can for the time being as the weather has been horrid. Anyway I think it's the shield at the back of the brake disc. I tried to bend it a little out of the way and the noise was way worse but it was the same noise. If I take the wheel off will I be able to see where it's catching ? And can the shield be removed if i  cannot alter it to avoid the noise?
Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:20 pm

You’ll probably need to get the disc off and then it’s 4 small bolts behind.  Bending it should keep it away from the discs.  It’s only thin steel so may have rusted and partly broken so allowing it to come into contact with the back of the brake disc.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.