Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another Rear Upper Tailgate not working issue

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
rb0135

Another Rear Upper Tailgate not working issue

Post by rb0135 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:58 am

Hi All,

I just picked up the car (E70 MY13 3.0D MSport pack) from a dealer and the rear tailgate seems to have the dreaded no auto lift. THe dealer knows about it and will be fixing it.

However, Im thinking I have a different problem rather than the motor gas struts.

2 Reasons:
1) They stated it worked fine.
2) It stopped opening after the battery ran down (according to the dealer).

Now, if I push the button inside or on the remote the latch releases the tailgate and it opens about 1-2 inches.

However, the problem is, I cant even manually lift the tailgate. It wont even budge, so it is stuck once it is released.

Most people with the struts not auto opening/auto closing, can still operate the tailgate manually.

I did a bit of searching but as mentioned, everyone with the strut problem can still manually open the tailgate.

Has anyone heard of my exact problem and a possible fix so I can at least open it. Its strange that it stopped opening after a dead battery. The dealer said it might be a few weeks before they get the parts in.

Thanks,
Rob