Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HELP!!! Please read below - Hesitation to complete loss of drive!

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HELP!!! Please read below - Hesitation to complete loss of drive!

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:20 pm

Only one part number per type and the increased towing capacity has different shafts to cope with pulling 3.5T instead of 2.7T gross mass trailers.  You need the right diff and accessories for your optioned car.  They aren’t interchangeable.
Last edited by X5Sport on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

bionicmanc

Post by bionicmanc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks! What's strange is that mine is 7 seats and comes with a tow pack - everything points to additional towing capability diff rather than a standard diff!
Lesson learned...fortunately I'm exchanging but it's gonna cost me £100's in shipping costs!

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Genuine towpack cars must be quite rare , haven't heard any mention of an uprated diff and shafts to get the bigger tow capacity only talk of a bigger fan for the rad.  Has the car done a lot of heavy towing ?
At least you are able to send it back ! Id have thought there would be no shortage of e70's being broke now , they are 11 years old ...the big bmw breakers must be tripping over the things , I certainly wouldn't be buying new .
Last edited by Leslie on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.